18. Sometimes, Remembering Isn't A Good Thing

Chapter 18

Sometimes, Remembering Isn’t A Good Thing

The next morning, the way I woke up felt familiar and new all at the same time – John holding me tight to his chest under the covers, trailing light kisses along my jawline.  His lips curled up into a smile when I shifted closer, knowing I was awake. 

“I’ve missed going to sleep every night and waking up every morning with you in my arms,” he murmured as I lazily opened my eyes.  He leaned back to smile at me with his head on the pillow beside mine. 

“I think I could get used to it…again,” I said, smiling back.  “I’m not so sure my parents would approve, though…”

“Too late for that.”  His smile turned into a mischievous grin.  “Your mom’s already walked in this morning.  Why do you think I’m up?  She burst in here, saw me, and squeaked, spouting out ‘sorry’ over and over again before she left.”

I groaned, hiding my face in the pillow.  “What she must have told my dad…”

“Hey, at least, you put your shirt back on.”

That earned him a smack on the arm.  He wasn’t done yet, though. 

“Too bad I didn’t.  I think I made her a little flustered.”

I smacked him again.  “John!”

“Hey, quite hitting me!” he laughed, catching my hand.  He pulled it up to his lips and kissed my fingers.  “It’s the truth.  Me, John Raymond, making both of the Alexander women flustered just at the sight of me.  You should have seen her the first time I met her.  She was grinning from ear to ear just seeing me hold you close…”

“Okay, dude, your head’s getting a little too big for your shoulders.”

He peeked over at one of those shoulders and shrugged.  “These broad things?  Never.”

I laughed, shaking my head as I leaned over to give him a kiss.  He smiled against my lips, securing his arm around my waist before pulling me against his chest. 

We were still in bed a little while later when the door to my room swung slowly open.  Three voices were whispering not so quietly.  John grinned, rolling his eyes. 

“Aiden and Sterling,” he mouthed to me.  He listened again.  “And Ryan.”

They must have crawled toward the bed on all fours, because I could hear the sound of them shuffling against the carpet.  The tops of three heads suddenly appeared at the end of the bed, all three boys grinning. 

“Attack!” Ryan cried before they all jumped up. 

Ryan landed in between me and John.  Aiden and Sterling squealed as they scrambled onto the bed after him.  Aiden landed on top of Ryan, though rolled toward me.  Sterling jumped on John, who caught him up and tickled him before pulling him to his chest, kissing the side of his head.

“Morning, little man.”

Sterling gave him a stern look.  “You and Emmy are sleepin’ in the same bed.  Ryan said that was a bad idea and we had to come in here to break up the party.  You were havin’ a party?”

Ryan tried to hold in his laughter, but was unsuccessful. 

“Well, of course, we were having a party,” John grinned, reaching over him to hit Ryan in the side of the head.  “We were just about to invite you, actually.  It wouldn’t be a party without you guys.”