7. Apparently, I Was A Ninja In My Previous Life

Chapter 7

Apparently, I Was A Ninja In My Previous Life

As soon as I grabbed onto John’s hand, I knew I was a goner.  A spark appeared in his eyes and he pulled me toward him, rushing us both across the street to Ryan and the waiting car.  When he pulled the back door open, I jumped inside without any hesitation before he closed the door and got in the front passenger seat.

“Tell me everything you found out,” he said to Ryan, who was starting up the car. 

After putting it into gear, Ryan pulled out into the street, going a little faster than legally allowed.  “I’ve already told you Jamie was watching out for them.  But a little while ago, she noticed something off.  Others were watching the hotel, but they didn’t look quite suspicious enough for her to think anything of it.  It wasn’t until Vince showed up with Seraphina and Hector that she knew something was going on.  That’s when she called me.”

John pulled his phone from his pocket and quickly typed a text, sending it before I could see who it was to.  “Is Braewyn with them?”

At the sound of the name, pure hatred rushed through me and I saw red.  It came as a shock, too, because I didn’t know I was even capable of it. 

“She showed up a little while later with Connor,” Ryan said.  His hands had tightened on the steering wheel, his knuckles turning white.  “They were with some of the others, but Jamie said that they didn’t seem to be there for Em’s family.  It was almost like…a meeting of some sort.”

“Do they know we’re here?”

“That we don’t know.  They don’t seem to, though.”

“Have you called Juliet?”

“Yeah.  She offered to send the others, but they wouldn’t get here in time.  Between you, me, and Jamie, we should be able to get them out of there before anything happens.  Too bad Em…”

“No, don’t say ‘too bad.’  I’ve got enough to worry about now that they’re here to even think about her being able to…just no.”

John looked back at me then, after I half expected them to forget I was back there. 

“You okay?” he asked, turning more in his seat.  “I know this is a lot to take in and it’s hardly any information at all, but…”

“You said that these were the people who did this to me,” I said, gesturing to my left side.  “How can you be so sure that they don’t know me and my family are here if they’re at the same hotel we’re staying at?  There are plenty in Paris…so it seems a little strange to me.”

“She’s right,” Ryan agreed, glancing back at me before looking at John.  “But it doesn’t seem like they want to take them…just keep an eye out.  That might change, though…if they find out we’re with them.  If they spot us…”

“They won’t,” John cut in, shaking his head.  “I’ll call Jamie and tell her to have them start packing up.  We’re going to leave just as soon as we tell them what’s going on.”

“I told you that something would happen if you saw her again…even with that whole deal you guys made.  You knew she wouldn’t…”

John didn’t like what Ryan had said.  “And you know I didn’t care if she did or not.  And she is…just bits and pieces of everything, though.  It’s still there, Ryan.  She’s still there.”

She.  They were talking about me, trying to be vague enough so that maybe I wouldn’t realize that they were.  I might not have remembered much of my life before, but that didn’t mean I was stupid.  Even though I didn’t remember them, I still knew them before…and I was sure they knew I would take too kindly to them thinking that I would know much.