One Cantankerous Dwarf Does Not A Company Ruin.....Maybe

Thorin stared at her for a few seconds in complete astonishment, and then smirked, "While your desire to defend your husband is recommendable, you have no part in this conversation."

Jael let out a little laugh, extremely angry, and retorted. "The fact that you think the only female who would defend a male is said male's wife says only that you are sadly lacking both in your education and your relationships. Friends have just as much right to defend each other as spouses. And, if I were his wife, I would have every reason to be a part of this conversation, so back off, Mr.-Pain-In-The-Butt."

The rest of the dwarves were uneasy. This little showdown between Thorin and Jael seemed that it would go on forever, but, thankfully, for most, Gandalf intervened.

"Thorin, Bilbo, and company, I am pleased to introduce the last member: Ms. Jael Tolkien. She's come quite a long way to join you..." He smiled, "Across worlds in fact."

That gave them all pause, Jael most of all, because how did Gandalf know: 1) that she was from another world, and 2) her last name. She never told anyone her last name. It just created a huge mess, and she hated dealing with it.

Her attention was brought back to the conversation when Gandalf addressed her.

"It is wonderful to see you again, Ms. Jael. Did you enjoy your trip? I would have welcomed you myself, but I was unfortunately detained."

"Hold on! You brought me here?! Or at the very least, you know how I got here?!"

Gandalf nodded, "Yes, I did bring you here."

Jael's jaw tightened, and she grabbed his arm, dragging him past the stunned dwarves, and an immobile Bilbo, and out into the garden.

"Listen here, Mr. High-and-Mighty-I-Won't-Ask-For-Permission, you better have a bloody good reason for bringing me here or so help me, I will find some way to end you!!!!!!!!!!!"

"When I first met you, we had a conversation about the horrible ending of the third movie while still in the theater. That was when you told me that you would do anything to change it. The second time we met was when I followed you to your job and asked you to train those dogs in Elvish commands. I met you several more times after that to give new instructions......" He trailed off as he saw her darkening expression.

"You were that dapper old man in the nice suit with the sweet grey beard? You were the one who increased my workload by one hundred percent? You brought me here because I said, in the heat of the moment, mind you, that I would do anything to change the line of Durin's end?"

Gandalf paused for a second and then nodded. "Yes, I was."

Jael sighed and put her head in her hands. "Have you never heard of asking? What if I decided to sabotage the journey because I was angry at you?"

Gandalf seemed surprised at the notion that she was angry at coming to Middle Earth. Jael still just couldn't believe that someone thought it'd be a good idea to just rip someone from their home without permission.

After two minutes of staring at each other, Jael caved. Fine! I don't care anymore. I'll help, but....

"I'll help, but I don't know what I'll be able to change. Is that ok?"

Gandalf smiled and said that that would be fine. Slightly relieved, Jael nodded.

Before he could head inside though, she asked, "How long will it take for you to gather enough magic to send me back?"

He paused, refusing to turn around, and answered in a very quiet voice, "Six months."

She stared at him in disbelief as he continued inside. Her loud groan of frustration brought both her dogs to their feet, and in the time it took to pacify them, she had managed to calm down a little. So, telling them to lie back down, she headed back into the house.