9. The Yule Ball.

(above: Charlotte being a bum)

Charlotte laughed as Steph nearly tripped over herself after lunch on Christmas Eve. Charlotte sat in their dorm watching as Steph freaked out.

     "Why are you laughing?" Steph fumed as she open the closet.                                    "How are you not freaking out?"
     "Because dances are stupid." Charlotte smirked as she flipped through a Hogwarts History; Hermione had let her borrow her copy.
    "I'm jealous really." Steph sacrasticly replied as she removed her black dress from it's hanger. "I haven't seen Maria today and your sitting there like nothing is going on."
       "I'm just not getting ready yet Steph." Charlotte reasoned. "I'll get ready at 1. Thats enough time for a shave and a shower before I go help Hermione."
        "Why do you hang out with those idiots anyway?" Steph asked as she laid her dress delicately on her made bed.
      "Their not idiots Steph." Charlotte sighed. "I enjoy their company."

Steph stared at Charlotte for a minute then sighed.  " Yeah yeah." She waved waking in to the bathroom. "Granger is pretty smart. McGonagall called her the brightest witch of her age."
        "Well she's only 14."
        "Do you feel uncomfortable about Krum asking her to the ball?" Steph asked as she pulled her hair into a ponytail.
          "No why?"
          "The four year age gap."
"Oh...yeah. Kind of." Charlotte answered rising from her bed. "But his intentions are good. I made sure before I let him ask her out."
          "Yeah rumor has it you picked out the flowers he gave her." Steph laughed as she applied face cleaner.
         "I did. He was lost and in need help."
         "I don't think Granger' s one for roses."
         "Nope." Charlotte agreed hoping onto the counter.

The next half hour consisted of Charlotte taking a bath and shaving head to toe. The Steph had adapted to Charlotte pretty quickly and the girls felt very comfortable with each other. Charlotte wasn't surprised anymore when she entered the dorm room to find Steph laying out in her underwear.
Maria was never there anyway; Steph said after Adeline got sick and couldn't attend school anymore Maria just stopped living in the dorm room. The empty bed in the room had been replaced with a sitting area the two girls made, a beanbag and rug laid out for them.

Charlotte considered Steph a good friend; though the girls hadn't known each other very long and Charlotte wasn't Steph' s best friend the two girls knew if something happened they would have each others backs.

At 2 o'clock Charlotte gathered her dress in its protective casing and grabbed her makeup bag. She placed her black heels in the bag carefully before pulling on her Quidditch jersey and sweat pants, she slipped into her converse then excused herself.

Charlotte entered the Common Room to find boys had flooded the space obviously in no need of the hours preparation the girls did.

           "Charlotte where are you going?" Draco asked as the girl passed him.
           "To get ready with the other girls. McGonagall said we had to be ready by four." Charlotte answered lying slightly.
          "Are you going to the Ball with anyone?" Draco questioned; rising from his spot beside Theo.

He stared at her; as he always did; much to Blaises discouraging, said it made him a creeper. He had never seen her look so relaxed. Her hair was still wet, curly pieces of her black hair stuck to her neck that had not made it into her bun. She wore no makeup and Draco could clearly see the scar beside her right eyebrow. She wore a black and gold Quidditch jersey with a torch on the front.

          "Yeah." She beamed; Draco' s heart shrunk a little. "Matt's taking me. Who are you going with."
          "Um...Pansy." Draco answered; though he had yet to ask her.
          "Oh..okay. You'll still save a dance for me right?" Charlotte requested.
          "Sure." Draco smiled.
        "Thanks." Charlotte stepped back and threw up a peace sign. "i'll see you then."