thirty six.

(Jimin POV)

___

My phone lay dead, and I didn't know why I wasn't charging it.

I wanted to hear his voice.

But more so, I wanted to see his face.

So I didn't question it.

I hurried out my room, grabbing my transit card, ignoring the umbrella for it would only slow me down. "I'll be back soon!" I called out to my Mum, quickly stepping outside and closing the door behind me.

I jogged to the bus stop, stopping to stand in the boxed shelter. Three other people stood, each to their own business, eyes glued to their phones, one of their's closed.

So I kept mine's open, looking around, because there was so much to see.

An ambulance whizzed by, red and blue sirens flashing in the grey afternoon. People momentarily looked up, and as the colours rounded the corner at the end of the road, they looked back down again.

___

I jogged down the street to his house, a smile widening more and more. My arms shivered and my socks were drenched, but I ignored that, ringing the doorbell to his home.

Waiting, I looked around, watching a few people standing outside their houses.

They were staring at me.

I looked away, ringing the doorbell again, tapping my foot.

"Excuse me?" A man called out, the kind neighbour in his fifties. I relaxed at seeing a familiar face, as I'd made conversation with him a few times in the past. He walked from his porch to the edge of the driveway, as if he was reluctant to get any closer to me.

"Yes?" I asked, puzzled as to why all the attention was on me, looking around to the people standing outside of their houses.

"Nobody's home," he said.

"Oh," I blinked, "I guess I'll come back another time," I smiled, turning around to walk away.

"An ambulance came."

I stopped, facing him suddenly. "What do you mean? Here?" I pointed to the house.

He nodded, "just a few minutes ago, your friend and his Mother went with it."

"Was everything okay?" I frantically asked, stepping away, looking around, not sure what to do next. But I didn't wait for his answer, already jogging away from the house to, to, to God knows where because my head wasn't asking anything else.

Please let him be okay, and I couldn't think of anything else.

I didn't know where I was going, but I kept jogging, numb to the point where wet clothes felt like they weren't there at all. I wanted to ask where I was going, when I reached the bus stop.

I wanted to ask, but that was a question and I wasn't supposed to ask any, but whatever it may be, I knew the answer to that was him.

I caught my breath, leaning against the bus shelter. Two figures standing inside it turned around to look at me, exchanging a glance. I must've looked mad to them --- helpless.

"Are you okay?" Said one of them, an elderly woman with concern preoccupied in her grey features.

I opened my mouth, but no words came out. I tried again, gulping, "w-what do I do?"

She exchanged another glance with the opposite person, "would you like to use our phone to call anyone, maybe?" Said the latter.

I nodded, stepping inside.

She picked up the phone after two rings.

"Hello?"

"Mum, it's me."

"Wha-"

"Can you come get me?" I looked down the road, wondering if the tire tracks were of the ambulance, "please."

___