Chapter 1: Crossroads at Uncanny Valley

Caprica: 53 Years Before the Fall

A group of black SUVs surrounded the house. It was a starless night so the front of the house was only lit by the few street lamps and the flashing lights of the Cars owned by the GDD. The GDD had cordoned off the house with yellow tape.

Tad Thorean stepped out of the SUV, dressed in a military uniform with a bullet proof vest. His field partner, a woman named Rachel, followed.

They approached the officer on duty.

“We’ve been informed of the situation,” Tad said, “we’re taking over from here.”
“This is under our jurisdiction,” the officer informed him.

“Not according to our supervisor.”
“And who might that be?”

“That would be me,” Jordan Durham said approaching the group.

“Ah yes, I heard you were the Director of the Caprica Legionaries now,” the officer said.

“Yes, and I’m ordering you to let my operatives through.”

“Yes sir.” The officer let Tad through but held Rachel back.

“Miss,” the officer said, “has anyone ever said…”
“I look like Zoe Graystone?” Zoe asked, “they never really stop.”

Zoe had been working under the Caprica Legionaries for two years now, trying to fight those that would turn her father’s inventions, the Cylons, into weapons.

Zoe followed quietly behind her field partner, Tad Thorean. To him she was just a woman named Rachel Ava, and she had to make sure it stayed that way.

As they made their way around the house, Zoe couldn’t help but think of how her father still managed to sell trucks full of Cylons, even with the small pockets of rebellion appearing everywhere. He had always been able to sway public opinion in making them this popular in the first place.

4 Years Ago

Zoe sat with her mother on the couch in the living room of the V-world version of the Graystone Estate. The television was projected onto the window overlooking the virtual lake. They watched Daniel in an interview with Baxter Sarno. He was promoting his Cylons.

Baxter was asking some tough questions but Daniel had obviously prepared well for this. Baxter was pointing out the idea that the Cylons were anthropomorphized by humans and that they might start taking on more human roles in colonial culture. Daniel made it very clear that the Cylons were just tools and should stay that way. Daniel finished the interview with a prophetic statement that there was no way of knowing what the future held. Daniel shook hands with Baxter and got up from the chair.

"Off," Zoe said getting up from the couch , "why does he spend so much time on those things?"

"What do you mean Zoe?" Amanda asked.

"It seems like he's just wasting time on those stupid robots."

"He sits up all night working on the body Zoe."

"It's just, this place gets to you after a while. I almost wound up with a God complex at one point. If I don't get out of here soon, I don't know what I'll do."

"Well, Daniel's just finished working on new models of Cylons, he should have some more free time now."

"Speaking of time, what time is it?"

"Just after four, why?"

"Tamara's expecting me at the temple."

"I should get going as well, your dad's probably going to get too caught up in his work to remember supper."