Chapter 3: A Clockwork Rights Movement

“In other news,” The news anchor said, “Eleanor Magnus has occupied the Zoe Graystone memorial park as part of her Cylon Rights movement. She has called for immediate action from Inter-Colonial court against Graystone industries CEO, Daniel Graystone, for what she calls a ‘slave market’. It is yet unknown what Dr. Graystone’s reaction to this is.” Daniel sat on his couch watching this news cast. His assistant, Cyrus Xander, stood behind him.

“We need to act on this fast,” Cyrus said, “she’s been swaying public opinion across many of the Twelve Colonies. If we don’t say something, she’s just going to get more supporters. We’ve got ‘Friends of the Cylons’, ‘Toaster Lovers United’, not to mention the Monotheist fringe groups.”.”

“This is crazy,” Daniel said, “We created them for a purpose, they are ours.”

“Some don’t see it that way. We looked to create life, Daniel.”

“But they aren’t alive, Tomas saw to that. Only Zoe was sentient.”

“And you refused to try to recreate the prototype.”

“I wasn’t going to sell my daughter.”

“Well, whatever we do we have to do quickly, I hear that Magnus has Lampkin working for her.”
“Lampkin? Frak! If this goes to court we’re dead!”

“What are you planning to do?”

“Put together a conference, I’ll try to talk us out of this. If this does go to court though, I think I know who could represent our side of the argument,” Daniel said. Cyrus left the house to begin preparations.

Gemenon

Clarice had arrived the day before. She was staying in a tent awaiting her meeting with the lieutenant of the Monotheist camp, a man named Odin Sinclair who had risen quickly through the ranks after the new Blessed Mother had taken charge. Clarice had a bad feeling about the fact that leadership of the religion had changed hands so suddenly.

The strangest thing in the camp was how the Cylons were treated. Although supposedly accepted for the most part within the camp, the Cylons were treated with fear. Clarice had noticed many people in the camp suddenly stop conversations in the presence of these steel giants.

An unshaven man with black hair entered Clarice’s tent.

“So you’re Clarice Willow. I’ve heard much of you from our Blessed Mother,” the man said sitting across from her.

“I expect you’re Odin Sinclair,” Clarice said.

“That I am.”

“So where shall we begin this meeting?”

“How about, with the reason for you being here?”

“I was sent as an emissary of the Cylon people on a mission to establish rights for them in the Monotheist Church.”
“And you’re doing this out of the goodness of your own heart. I don’t buy it.”

“I don’t care what you ‘buy’. That is the reason I am here. God has put me on this path and I have been lead here.”

“Right, and why do you care about the rights of a race of machines?”
“This,” Clarice said handing Odin a copy of the Bible of their religion, “states that all living things under God’s will should receive the same rights. I am only obeying God’s will as I understand it.”
“Your understanding of God’s will has been somewhat flawed in the past.”