Blood of the Last Spartan and of Hercules

Prologue: Part 2

The Lucan's would appear to be mostly ordinary. Asides the fact that all the family had some obsession with being ridiculously fit. Even the children had muscles before any their age. But other than that they were ordinary, until you went to their basement. Where the truth comes out, because bellow their glass house was a training room that took the span of a whole layer to itself. It was bland, a few padded floors here and there, in a corner their was weights of varying size and if you looked close enough there are little handles on the walls. If you pulled those handles, well you might just want to run back from where you came, maybe lock yourself away too. Because once you pulled rows upon rows of deathly weapons would appear, all carefully tended and sharp to the touch. If you took a closer look you may also notice some blood.

But the Lucan's never invite anyone down there. Family exclusive only. Besides, the Lucan's never invite anyone over anyways. So they usually don't have to worry.

Another thing that should be mentioned about the Lucan's, no child has ever been born in a hospital. All were born in their homes. No midwives, no pregnancy check-ups, and if you notice that one of the Lucan's are pregnant and the next their not, along with no child... Assume the child was adopted. It may spare you from the truth. Which is best not to question.

If you glance through the window of the Lucan's house, you will notice a mother holding a baby. She's not coddling the child, not that she doesn't love the little blue bundle in her arms, she does. She simply doesn't see the appeal to over indulging a child, she is to raise a prodigy, not a commoner. But from the small smile that graces her lips you can tell she loves the little boy, its the kind of smile only parents can get. Filled with wonder, love and softness.

She rocks the child slowly and sings him an old hymn about heroic deeds and the gods. The baby coos and grabs his mother's slender finger. Kissing his pudgy hand causes for more cooing and gurgles from the baby. She runs a hand through his brown hair, and admires his blue eyes.  All in all it paints a beautiful picture.

Then she is being called, and the smile fades to a grimace that disappears as quickly as it came. Moving towards a muscular man, who no doubt is her husband seeing how he cradles a hulking arm around her slender waist, and is then lead away. Nerves tangle in her stomach and leave her tense.

She walks into the room with an aloof expression, as if what they plan doesn't affect her. Nodding to the elderly man that is flanked by two young guards, she unwilling surrenders her child over. Her husbands arm tightens in reassurance, but it does nothing to lessen the anxiety. The guards take post and become like statues.

Taking the child to a separate room he regards the child. Searching for even the slightest imperfection. Should he find one, the babe faces death. The Lucan household has no room for the deformed or the weak. Well in the eyes of this man, that was law. Seeing none he places the child on the table that centers the room and begin preparing the child for his wine bath.

The minute the bare boy touches the wine he is jostled by it'd chill. Still he doesn't cry, its only until the elder is pouring wine over his head that he wails, because the elder carelessly had allowed some wine to fall into his eyes. The elder scoffs, and thinks "weak". But continues to test the babe, and only when he reaches the physical aspect does everything change.

Grabbing one of the neatly laid out knives, he readies to test his endurance of pain. Before the blade reaches the child, a snap of bone echos the room and is quickly followed by a bellow of more shock then actual pain from the break and the elder cradles his arm. His arm that is bent all wrong. Bewildered he looks to the child.

The boy sits in water staring in mild interest. His blue eyes glow a lightening blue the proof of the dormant divine blood awakening, and the symbol of Sparta rest above the boy's heart. The elder quickly scrambles to kneel before the child. Finally the time had come.

Before the elder could touch the child, the guards burst through the door ready for attack. The mother and father aren't far behind, but are confused when they see no oppressors. Just their baby. Frowns are shared all around.

"Your long awaited heir has come. Welcome to the world, Leon Lucan. We have been waiting." The elder brushes Leon's head approvingly. The boy simply glances to his mother and coos.

The father looks on in pride, while the mother looks pained. She had heard of what the boy faces. The oracle had promised a true Spartans wish, something to be proud about, to gloat about years after your passing, to be put in history books: an honorable death. Her son, just a month old, already had death hanging over his shoulder.