Prologue

Ruby's POV

I slowly opened my eyes.

Light shone down and flooded the room.

Wait? Where am I?

My mind registers the familiar walls, and I move closer to the body laying beside me. The reaping got everyone on edge including me trying to spend every moment with my boyfriend in case it is our late. Especially because now we both are of age, me being almost 17 and him already 17.

Here in District 10 we are part of the lower class and we struggle for food but we survive.

I mean there is four of us so mom and dad work really hard to provide food for us. We kids help out what we can.

My older brother, Drew Avarick, is 21 and helps out with the few animals we have and other jobs nearby. Finally past the dreaded age of 18 and the risk of being reaped is gone.

Then it's me Ruby Avarick who is 16 and can't do much, but I do cook for the family. I was named Ruby because my parents thought that my bright red hair reminded them of rubies.

After that, it's my little brother, Coal Avarick, who is 13 and loves to always stay outside. Although we're not from district 12 he was named after one of my relatives that was killed in district 12 for violating the peacekeeper's rules.

Then is the baby of the family, Shralle Avarick. She is eighteen months old and is the joy of the family. Its my job take care of her everyday because my parents are busy with the cows and other chores.

''Ruby are you awake?'' asked Clifton, my boyfriend.

I sigh in response and roll over to look at him.

''I hate to say it but it is probably time you leave because I have to start my chores today,'' Clifton commented.

Groaning I sit up, ''I know I just don' want to go. You know that this could be the last week we have of each other.''

''Hey don't talk like the that.'' Clifton stated. ''You worry too much''

''I know but I just don't want to lose you.''

''Don't worry babe, you won't lose me. I will be right here where I belong,'' said Clifton.

I get up to start gathering my stuff but he interrupts me before I can leave ''Wait, Ruby."

And with that, he pulled me back and pressed his back on mine. That homey feeling of being close to him floated through my body as shared one last kiss.

I hope that wasn't too cheesy. Because to me it kind of sounded cheesy.

Oh and BTW am sorry but we will be switching characters a lot in this book. Just a heads up so you don't get confused.

Ridge's POV

''Hurry up slowpoke'' my sister said.

''I AM COMING'' I told my very impatient 14 teenage sister, Arata.

My sister although only 14 was quite strong for her age due to having to work so hard because our dad died two years ago and mom is still weak from pneumonia, but because of that she can be stubborn and headstrong but overall she is a still good kid.

''You ready?'' I asked.

''What do you think. I was waiting an eternity for you to get your butt over here," she complained.

''Ok! then lets go'' With that we both started to head to the woods. Here in district 7 the forest is everywhere. We have cleared a bunch of the trees but we also make sure we plant more every time we cut. This is a pretty normal day, me and my sister hunt together a lot and although we don't always agree on most things we do get along. She is my best friend. The one who has been with me through everything. Even though she is younger than me she doesn't let that stop her from beating me at everything.

''So what do you think about the Reaping. You know it is in two days.'' I said.

''I know but I don't think we will be chosen and if you do I think you would do very well.'' Arata complimented.

''You wouldn't do badly either, but who are we kidding nobody wants to be the Hunger Games.''

''Well that is not what I meant'' she said.

To change the topic ''You know I am going over to Andrea house tonight. So take care of mom for me.'' I mentioned. Arata just rolled her eyes in response.

Andrea is my world, she is my everything
Her beautiful long blonde wavy hair and her blue eyes that sparkle when you look at her make me go wide. She also had the most kind and gentle heart. And I love her with all my heart.

''Yeah I know. I guess it will just me and mom again.'' she said.''Have fun''

''Ok I know I will.''

I hope that wasn't too cheesy. Because to me it kind of sounded cheesy. This was just an introduction chapter.

Oh and BTW am sorry but we will be switching characters a lot in this book. Just a heads up so you don't get confused.