The Reaping

Ridges POV

Robin, the districts 10 escort, in her plain but elegant dress and neutral but still fierce makeup steps out on the high platform and starts to give the introduction.

Andrea walked over to me and put her hands in mine and said, "I hope names are not picked" I start to say something but she interrupts me "No matter what happens I want you to know that I love you."

"I love you too. I hope nothing happens to you too" I say. I gentle lean down and give her a gentle kiss on the cheek.

"I have to go now they are starting soon" she does a fake smile as she walks over the girls side.

Arata and I make eye contact and give each other the same look. I know she is thinking the same thing as I am.

The boys and girls are divided and then farther into age groups. Each person gets his or her finger pricked and stamped and their information is written on a slip and put in the bowl like normal.

Beside me is Fonso, one of my best friends. He does not show it but I know he is as scared as I am. The chance of being picked is higher because we are both 18, and the more years the more chances of being drawn.

When Robin gets back on stage she starts talking.

"Dear Ladies and Gentlemen, Welcome, Welcome, to the 48th Hunger Games. Are you ready to see this years tributes for Districts 7." Here it seems to be quiet even though there is children screaming, a hushed whisper, and people moving briskly. As she finished she started walking over to the girl's name bowl and said. "Ladies first of course," she said this with sarcastic but with a bit of dread because although the Capital made it look like she applied for the job of a host everybody knows that they forced her into it or else she and her family would die or worse. She would rather be at home being a housekeeper than the host anyway but the Capital wanted her because of her figure, stage presence, and speaking ability. She is a simple person not wanting to do any harm but hates working for the Capital, and the Capital hates working with her but could not find a better replacement in our basic district.

She puts her hand in the bowl and says "This year's female tribute is Prassida Calvert"

The crowd is quiet except for a few babies crying. A small crying girl probably about the age of 12 or 13 slowly walked up to the platform. Another woman is crying most likely her mother. A pain of sorrow for them shoots through my body. It reminds me of my mother.

When she is standing on the platform Robin walks over to the boys bowl and states, "Now last but not least the boys"

She walks over to the bowl, puts her hand in it, and pulls a slip out. And says

"This year's male tribute is Ridge Tyner"

Then I heard the loudest scream from the girl's side that I think I've ever heard and I knew exactly who it was from.

A wave of emotions hit me like a brick wall as reality hit but I tried not to show it. I am going to be in the Hunger Games those terrible Games that every mother is terrorized for their children where you have to fight to the death. My body said no no no but I knew that I would have to walk to the platform because they would come and find me anyways.

As I started to walk I look over to Fonso. He has a little bit of relief that he was not chosen on his face but I can also see great sorrow and sadness in his eyes. He and I grew up together and had all our adventures together. He was like the brother I never had. As I look at his face I saw tears in his eyes and down his face and realized that a tear had just fallen from my eye. All that was about to change for the worse.