Chapter 1

I saw her again.

She ran through the woods, crying and calling to me for help.

I couldn't move, the fear of being hurt had me rooted to the ground, as always.

I watched helplessly as the man in black overalls gained in on her and soon he was right behind her. He pinned her down with his body and an evil smirk spread across his lips.

The girl glanced at me one last time, her tear-stained face sending a quiet cry to me, as she surrendered to the man. Before the darkness enveloped me, I heard the same words yet again, coming from the man. The words held venom like always, if not more than the last.

"You are Mine."

☆☆☆☆

I woke up with a start, sweating profusely through the cold air from the air conditioning system was on full blast, and panting. My breath came out in rasps and my chest constricted like I had been in a marathon.

The numerous Little Mix posters on the wall confirmed to me that I was still in my room, my head fell back onto the pillow as my rapid breathing slowed. I turned to my bedside table where a small alarm clock sat, it was almost 5:00 am. I looked back to the ceiling and allowed my thoughts to wander.

I sighed as I replayed the dream over and over in my mind, the girl’s voice echoed in my ears and I shuddered. Every sound, turn, movement, and word was ingrained in my mind’s eye.

It had been reoccurring for as long as I could remember and I had no idea what to make of the scary dream. I always wanted to help her but the fear would freeze my features. The environment was pitch black, making it difficult for me to see her face but somehow she was able to see mine. She knew me, there was a hint of familiarity in the way she called my name, it was like calling out to a friend to wait up.

Zaria.

I shook the thought away like I always did, repeating to myself that I was above the weird dream.

I am beautiful, I am smart, I am perfect, and that no one would take that away from me, I chanted with my eyes closed.

I had decided not to tell anyone about the dreams and I made sure my parents didn't put me in a boarding school because I wanted to keep it known to myself as long as I had to. I didn't want anything to ruin my reputation.

After saying a quick prayer of thanks, I headed for the bathroom since there was no use going back to sleep. Besides, a new session of school was going to start in two hours. I finished in the bathroom at about 6:30 am and started to get dressed.

I brought out my well-ironed uniform from the huge wardrobe and smiled lightly. Limelight's High was one of the schools in Nigeria with the best uniform; Blue button-up long-sleeved shirt with the school badge woven in white and blue wool on the side pocket, a grey tie, grey thigh-length flare skirts for the girls, and smart pant trousers for the guys. Girls weren't allowed to wear skirt without wearing pop socks or opaque pantyhose underneath. We were allowed to wear any kind of shoe so far it was black and covered the foot well.

Apart from style, my school also excelled in academics. It was enough to be proud.

I styled my natural hair into two French plaits and the long length of the hair made it fall over my shoulders. I put on a little makeup; a puff of brown powder, a smack of pink bubblegum lip gloss and one swipe of mascara. I sat at the edge of my bed to put on my suede, wedge boots. I looked at my reflection in the mirror and smiled in satisfaction.