Chapter 34

Zaria's POV. 

I was discharged few days ago so I was back home, though my right hand was still in the cast. I didn't want to go back to that house, to the room where I was raped. It brought back so many ugly memories but what choice do I have? I had to stay with Aisha because the therapist advised it. 

Sam was charged to court and sentenced to fifteen years imprisonment with hard labour. After that, my parents tried having normal conversations with me and tried to act like nothing actually happened but I wasn't giving them that, at least not yet or rather not any time soon. 

School had already resumed but I wasn't going. Everyone already knew about what happened to me. The press wouldn't just leave my family alone and soon it was all over the social medias and mass media. I was so humiliated. 

I already missed a week and now it's Sunday. I was in Aisha's room, resting on the head, my eyes focused on the ceiling. Joel wouldn't stop coming to check on me. He tried not to convince me but I could tell it was pretty hard for me. I needed some time away from this country. From everyone. 

Everyone tried to talk me out of it, even teachers called to ask of my well being but I wasn't sure I was confident enough to go back to that school and face the students. Students that once looked up to me will looked down at me like I was a charity case. 

"Zaria." Someone called my name, jerking me out of my thoughts. I looked and saw my mother walking into my room, with a smile on her face. 

"Mother." I gave her a tight lipped fake smile. 

"You can call me mum, you know." She looked nervous. 

"No, mother is good enough for me." I replied. She sighed. 

"I just came to check up on you." She smiled again. 

"Since when mother, because if I remember correctly, the last time you actually checked up on me was five years ago." I got down from the bed and stood face to face with her. 

"Zaria, please forgive me..." She was tearing up again and my heart melted. 

She might have made terrible choices concerning you but she's still your mother. The tiny voice in my head reminded me and stray tears left my eyes. 

"You could have believed me when I told you about it at first mother, but you decided not to. Come to think of it, you probably did believe me, but you were much concerned about the status of this family than my life?" I asked her but she was silent and just kept weeping. That confirmed my exact fair. 

"Exactly what I thought." I whispered, letting out an humourless laugh. 

"Zaria, you have every right to be angry. You have every right to even renounce me as your mother, I deserve every bit of it. But find it in your heart to forgive me. I have failed you as a mother and I take all the blame." She said. 

"You know, I wouldn't have cared if father didn't believe me. Sam was his brother after all. But it would have meant a lot to me if you, my mother, had believed me. You saying you are sorry all over again wouldn't erase the pain you have caused me." I told her. She was still quiet, she wouldn't even look at me. 

If you don't forgive her, you are putting yourself in bondage. Setting her free is one step to setting you free. The tiny voice was back and I exhaled. 

"I have forgiven you." I told her and her eyes shot up with gratitude. "But it will take a lot more than you think to forget everything." I told her and she nodded her head in understanding. 

"Your forgiveness is enough for me, my daughter. I regret everything I did. I wasn't a good mother. I'm so sorry. Your father and I are." She wiped the tears from her face. I nodded. She looked at me.