Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

Finally

Leila mumbled under her breath when the bell rang to dismiss everyone. She immediately stood up; packed everything back in its original place in the First Aid bag, then put it back in the cabinet. She dusted her clothes off and checked herself in the reflection of the mirror, then she sighed and grabbed her handbag with her out of the room. Seas of young children were occupying the hallway, chatting, using their lockers, or just passing by towards the front doors. Leila smiled and made her way out the large building, careful not to pump into any of them.

The older ones threw her weird glances as she passed across them. She just bowed her head and paid no attention to them. She made it to the front yard safely, only to find the black Lamborghini waiting for her in the parking lot.

Leila rolled her eyes, then heaved a sigh before making her way to the car.

"Good afternoon, Mrs. Gareth," Steve greeted when Leila slipped into the backseat and closed the door carefully behind her. She placed her bag on her lap and made herself comfortable.

"Same to you, Steve," She replied as the driver took off to the main street. Leila looked down at her lap and twirled the handle of her bag around her fingers, so that she would look busy and not in much need to share a conversation with him. He was still a man, regardless of who he really was, good or bad, trusted or not. She was thankful when he didn't speak either. He only started to change the channels on the radio, until he stopped it when a song of The Beatles started to play in the background.

Leila picked up her new phone and turned it on. It took her a few minutes before it was finally ready to use. She nervously scratched in her mother's number and pressed the Dial button. She waited for her to reply and started to tap the phone with her fingers.

"Hello?" Her mother's voice rang on the other end, making her smile.

"Mom?" She mischievously replied, her lips twitching up.

Her mother paused for a while, trying to clear out her confusion. She had probably grabbed the phone from her ear to check out the dialer's number by then.

"Leila, is that you?" She gasped through the phone.

Leila laughed. "Yeah, it's me, obviously. Anyway, how're you doing?"

"I'm great, Leila. I'm so happy I finally heard your voice. It feels like ages since you last called. You weren't replying to my calks and we are very worried here. Did you change your number?" Her mother said it all in one excited breath.

"Yeah-No, I mean kind of," She spluttered. "My phone got accidently broken."

"Ah! I see. Well, that doesn't really matter now. How are you doing with life?" Her mother asked.

"I'm good!" Leila cheerfully replied, and then she remembered this morning's events. "Very good, actually. I got a job in one of the primary schools here."

"Well, that totally couldn't have gotten any better, eh? I still remember those days when you told me you want to move all the way to the US," Her mother laughed, and Leila joined in, but she stopped.

"But I still miss you, Mom, all of you. When will you be visiting?" She sadly wondered.

"Soon Darling, Insha'Allah. I promise you. Just as soon as we receive the first paycheck we will be on the first plane straight to Los Angeles," Her mother replied.

"I'll hold you to that promise," Leila joked.

"You have to. I have to go now, Leila. It's seven in the morning here and I have to get ready for work." Then her mother interrupted when Leila sucked in a breath and opened her mouth to speak. "And no, you didn't wake me up, so don't apologize. I will call you as soon as I'm free."