Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

IT was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of -

"Leila!" A yell interrupted Leila and she slammed the book on her lap shut, taking off her glasses. She sighed heavily and placed the book on the spare pillow next to her.

As if on cue, the door swung open, revealing an enthusiastic Marissa, carrying an enormous collection of shopping bags in her hands.

"Hello, Sweetie," She greeted and strolled into the room in all her glory. She left the door open and reached for Leila, dropped the bags on the edge of the bed, then scurried back to gently shut the door to the hallway.

"Oh!," Leila replied absent-minded while her eyes roamed all over the different brand names.

"Is there an occasion for that? Is it like, I don't know, the world's shopping day today or something?" Leila shrugged and bent over. She picked up one yellow plastic bag and peaked in. Marissa immediately slapped her hands away.

"Ouch!" Leila complained, backing away and flexing her hands.

"Everything on time, Leila. Don't rush things." Marissa moved to sit on the edge of the bed. She slipped off her heels and crossed her legs over the mattress. This time she wasn't dressed formally, only in a pair of denim jeans and a tee. Her hair was pulled back into a high pony tail and, somehow it looked different, lighter.

"Marissa, did you dye your hair?" Leila asked in enthusiasm and extended her hand to touch her friend's hair gently. "It's lovely! I like it. What color is that?"

"Thank you!" Marissa squealed shyly. "That's mahogany brown. Mom suggested it to me." Then she fiddled with some of the bags on her side. Leila didn't remember Marissa speak about her family before. She almost forgot that she had one. She honestly had no idea what it would be like to meet them. Will she ever have the chance to do so? Will they like her?

"But don't worry, I have your share with me here," Marissa's comment snapped Leila back to reality.

What?!

"What are you talking about, Mar-Oh my God!" She gasped when she caught sight of the package in Marissa's hands. "No way!" Leila waved her hands in disapproval. "I'm not doing this."

"Yes, you are," Marissa replied calmly and rolled her eyes as if it was nothing. "But not yet. When Rosaline comes first."

"Wait, is Rosaline coming, too?" Leila asked in shock. Those were all plans she had no idea about.

"Yep!" Marissa sang, while checking the time on her wristwatch. "She only has fifteen minutes to go. And until then," She paused, resting her hands over Leila's knees. "We're in private. So spill!"

Leila shook her head. "I-I have no idea what you're talking about." She looked away from her and pretended to be busy twisting the hem of her blouse around her fingers.

"Come on, Leila! I'm not an idiot." Marissa seemed offended by the lame attempt to escape. "Robin told me you were miserable that day on the field trip. I can't believe you didn't tell me. I thought we were friends."

Leila's eyes widened. "Oh my God! Marissa, I didn't mean it to be like that," She apologized. "I just -, didn't want anyone to bother with my problems. I bet you have enough burdens to bear on your own. I didn't want to get you involved in my troubles, too. I'm sorry!"