Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

Once the car had made it to place, Leila immediately slipped out of the car and headed straight to her room without a glance back. When Emily had noticed her sour mood at first, she feared to ask, for Leila was quite dangerous when she was upset.

After getting out of her clothes, Leila took a quick shower and changed into a plain pair of pajamas. She asked Emily for a mug of hot chocolate that she sipped on while reading another one of the books she had found on her bookshelf, before getting to her bed. She arranged the pillows around her and tugged her body above the mattress, draping the duvet over herself. She hardly slept, her mind busy rewinding the incidents of the morning, and how on Earth she was supposed to get something good our of this two-week trial. In the end, she was still as clueless.

- -

"Leila!"

"Hmm," Leila mumbled in a groan while snuggling closer to her pillows.

"Leila! Get. Up." A slam crushed the bones of her spine and Leila bounced up on the bed , her eyes wide in shock.

"I'm awake. I'm awake," She mustered. Rubbing her eyes, Leila got a hint of who the silhouette towering over her could be. There was no way it could be none other than Marissa.

"Hey," Leila stifled a yawn as she got up and stretched. "I didn't know you were coming. What time is it?"

"It's six in the evening, Madame, which means you have only one hour to get ready," Marissa declared, giving Leila the creeps.

"Oh my God!" Leila exclaimed rather too calmly, then her eyes switched to her phone. "But my alarm," Her voice trailed, reminding her that she had totally forgetting to set that up.

Marissa tilted her head to the side and shook her head. "Apparently you didn't," She said.

"No," Leila confirmed. "I didn't."

"I'm pretty sure that won't be a problem," Marissa said. "Just get your ass in there and hurry up. We don't want to be late," She instructed and pushed Leila all the way to the bathroom, where she brushed her teeth and washed her face. The rumbling noises in her stomach reminded her of her lack of nutrition. She debated grabbing a takeout on their way to the house, but she was already late and it would be a miracle if she made it there on time.

"What about the decoration?" Leila wondered as she dried her face off with a towel and walked back to the room.

"It's already been taken care of," Marissa explained. "David sent everything off to his parents' immediately after his return. But he seemed quite in a rush that he didn't stay over to elaborate."

"He had a lot of work to do," Leila replied, opening the doors to her walk-in closet and stepping inside.

"He always has a lot of work to do. Seriously, Leila, why have you never complained about that. It's crystal clear that you barely see him these days. It's his duty as a husband to free some of his time for your sake." Marissa walked to sit on the end of the bed, crossing her legs together.

"Can't agree with you on that, honestly," Leila mumbled, her eyes scanning through the racks for something appropriate to wear. "He would probably kill me if I spoke a word in that field."

"Oh, come on. It's not he can actually do anything. The guy is crazy about you," Marissa screeched. "Speaking of whom; how is the two-week trial going with you two?"

Leila simply shrugged, moving to pull out a creamy brown loose-fitting dress. "What do you think of that?" She asked casually.

"Leila," Marissa called softly.