11 - Leaving The Nest

just one small question... ik this book isnt over yet but would you be opposed to a third home-bound? you don't have to have an answer yet, i just want your opinions. i'll ask formally at a later time. i have a storyline planned out and all for home-bound 3 but i also have another httyd plot i wanna work on after this book is complete.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Hiccup managed to get his mother, Saphira, and the Isunderian dragon riders situated in the cove by nightfall. Their crescent of tents had now turned into a full circle, reminiscent of a small tent village surrounding the campfire.

Saphira pulled off her painted leather in favor of a scaled armor she brought with her. Since it was made of Changewing scales, she would be able to blend into Harper and disguse herself as well.

Saphira, Valka, Hiccup, and Luneah were lost in their own conversation. Saphira had managed a bit of scouting before they arrived on Berk. The nest was in a volcano, surrounded by fog and concealed amongst sharp sea stacks.

"Have you gotten a good look at the queen?" Hiccup asked.

"No. No way, not without backup," Saphira shook her head. "I didn't even enter the nest. But I can tell you this... That queen's full-grown. Not an adolescent like the one we fought before. The control on her dragons is almost inpenetrable without dragon nip and the sheer amount of dragons under her control..."

"Is testament to her skill. Well that's just fantastic," Valka sighed, tapping her fingers against her staff in irritation. If the queen was truly this powerful, she would be much larger and smarter than the other queen the dragon riders had fought before. She would also be more dangerous.

"We could call the Royal Guard to come help us," Luneah suggested over the growing winds. "It'll take them two weeks to get here on the ships and they only have basic tragon training knowledge, but it's something."

"And I could ask Mala to supply a small battalion," Saphira added, her hand flying to the sapphire necklace that was pocketed somewhere in her armor. "Even just thirty soldiers would be able to help tremendously, especially if they're the warriors that Auntie Val and I trained last year."

"We're not going to be able to do this without the help of Berk. Period," there was a finality to Hiccup's words and the other three had no choice but to agree. "Their warships will be able to haul the things our dragons can't. Their numbers will aid in the stray dragons that leave the nest. And maybe this is our chance to change their minds about dragons."

Luneah rolled her eyes fondly. "You and your persuasion tactics."

"Hey, my persuasion tactics are very adequate, mind you!"

Saphira giggled as the two bantered playfully. Valka also watched the scene with a smile on her face, absolutely enthralled with how her son found the perfect woman. And now they were having a child!

"Alright you two," Valka finally cut into the conversation. "Let's get a move on. Everyone, saddle up. It's more dangerous to enter the nest at night. Hopefully we'll find it before sundown."
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

It was surprisingly easy to find the nest. How the Vikings had failed for hundreds of years was beyond Hiccup. Perhaps Vikings weren't as smart as they so stubbornly believed they were.

The fog that shrouded the island from outside view cleared immediately and the giant volcanic island was left in full view, highlighted by sharp black rocks that jutted out from the shores and glassy stones and gave the entire volcano a dangerous glare. The shore was made of smooth pebbles, not sand or mud, leaving eerie clatters ringing through the air as the waves crashed upon the beach and disturbed the peace.