Chapter 3

The two reached the canteen without talking much about anything of interest. When they seated themselves at a table, however, Zinnia's demeanour turned serious.

"So? What did you want to talk to me about?" Arctic asked.

"What," Zinnia said slowly, "the heck is this?" She pulled up Arctic's jacket sleeve, revealing half a dozen or so scars, and a cut that was covered over by a band aid.

"Why are you cutting yourself? What reason could warrant such self-harm?" continued the girl, brown eyes hardening as they met blue ones.

Tugging his jacket sleeve down, Arctic sighed.

"I didn't exactly cut myself. Well, I did, but it wasn't me. Seeing Zinnia's confused expression, he groaned.

"This isn't coming out right. Can we just say that this is the result of a mental illness, and leave it at that?" Arctic asked helplessly.

"No, we can't, " Zinnia said fiercely, "Let me guess what illness this is."

Arctic guessed what she was going to say before she said it.

"You have depression."

"No, I don't," Arctic said honestly, ignoring the shocked look on Zinnia's face.

"I would tell you, but then you'd look at me differently, and I don't want that. I just-" Arctic paused and ran a hand through his hair.

"I just want a friend who can look at me honestly without pity. And that's what you did. I don't want to burden yet another person with thus knowledge," he continued.

"Oh, so we're friends now?" Zinnia chuckled, but nodded, "Sure, if you'd want that. But, I want to know what illness this is." Arctic frowned and sighed.

"I... I have... DID," The boy admitted, putting his face in his hands.

Instead of a "pitying" glance or "sympathetic" words, Zinnia slapped him.

"What the heck? I just made a big confession, don't slap me." Arctic raised his head and gave her a smile.

"Look, Arctic, I don't know what DID is, but I'll go Google it. I just want you to know that I'll -" Zinnia paused, trying to choose the right words, "I'll be there for you. I know I can't fix your... Illness. But I promise you, I will stay with you every step of the way."

Arctic stayed silent, and Zinnia started to become worried. "Hey Arctic, are you oka-"

She was interrupted by a bear hug from the blue-eyed boy.

"I'm so sorry, Zinnia. I'm so sorry for dragging you into this mess." Before she could react, the boy, almost near tears, ran off.