Chapter 3

All the members of the Singhania family were seated at the table engaging themselves in the general banter. The hot topic of the day- Gayu's to be fiance. He was a distant relative of the Goenkas and noticed her at Karthik and Naira's wedding. The poor guy, Vivaan, pursued Gayu for months, but Gayu flatly refused. One fine day Naksh found out, did his background research and decided he would be a good addition to the family. Soon Gayu relented, and in a few days they are to be engaged. They were busy shopping for the family online.

Initially, Keerti was responsible for all of the arrangements. But Akshara, being the loving mother figure she is, wanted to give Keerti some time to rest. She was juggling work and the household chores at the same time. The least she could do is take care of the additional responsibilities. Naitik, Dadi, Badi Dadi and Dada ji adored Keerti for her exceptional qualities. But Bua Dadi never liked Keerti. In fact, she was quite disappointed that Naksh was marrying a divorcee. Mishti came running into the dining room waving her iPad saying "Naira Di is calling us on video call." Mishti accepted the call and sat along with the others.

Naira: Hi! 

Everyone responded "Hello Naira!"

Naira: Okay listen! We are all going on a cruise celebrating Ma and Papa's 25th anniversary. And everyone is invited. We are going from Mumbai to Indonesia. It's a 20 day trip filled with lots of fun.

Everyone grew excited and started talking about it.

Keerti: When do we have to leave for Mumbai?

Naira: July 30th, Di. Okay, I'll call you guys again. Bye!

All the members of the family started discussing their plans when Naksh noticed that Keerti looked a little upset.

He waited for everyone to finish their dinner and when they went back to their room Keerti was silently wiping her tears. Naksh couldn't comprehend what was going on.

Naksh: Keerti, is everything alright?

Keerti hurriedly wiped her tears and nodded her head. Naksh sat beside her and took her hand in his and caressed it signalling her to tell what was bothering her.

Keerti: I want to apologize...I didn't realize that you would be missing work for a long time when I gave this idea. I swear .... I feel very guilty.

Naksh: There is nothing to feel so bad about and no, I will not accept your apology. You didn't do anything wrong. If you can leave your parents and your family , and accept me and my family, the least I can do is become a part of your family too. Remember, I am not coming as your sister-in-law's brother. I am coming as their son-in-law.

Keerti gave a soft smile.

Keerti: A few months after Aditya and I got married, Chachi planned a trip to Goa as a family. I forgot to ask his permission for the trip. When he found out a week before we were to leave, he got very angry and...

Keerti paused for a second. There was immense pain on her face which she was trying to mask with a smile, which Naksh noticed.

Naksh: What happened Keerti?

Keerti: Let bygones be bygones. Listen, what do you want to wear for Gayu's engagement?

Naksh pursed his lips and asked "You didn't answer my question?"

Keerti was at loss of words. Naksh's eyes pleaded for the truth. Keerti slowly spoke up "He forced himself on me after hitting me. I know you are not like him. But I was still afraid I would upset you."

Naksh pulled Keerti into a hug. He had tears coming out of his eyes. He only went through heartbreak but she went through something worse....much worse. Keerti fell asleep while hugging him. Naksh slowly put her on the bed and covered her with a blanket. He slept beside her thinking about their future. How could he drive away the fear in her? Maybe the trip would do some good.

The next day, Naksh woke up to not see Keerti beside him. A few minutes later she came with a cup of tea. Naksh smiled. He liked tea early in the morning. Luckily, tea was Keerti's area of expertise. She made it just the way he liked. Keerti rested her head on his chest while he had his tea. He started playing with her hair. Naksh always mentioned that he loved Keerti's long hair. 

Keerti: Naksh, I was thinking if we have a daughter, I will make sure she has short hair.

Naksh rose up and asked "Why? Long hair is so beautiful."

Keerti: Because long hair is hard to handle.

Naksh: No. It's not hard.

Keerti: I see that you have become a hair style expert. When we have a daughter, you can wash her hair and braid it yourself.

Naksh: It's a deal.

Keerti: You know, she might not have long hair. If she gets your genes, she probably won't.

Naksh: My mom has long hair, Naira has long hair and so do you! So I need not worry. She will be the envy of everyone!

Keerti: If she is the envy of everyone, she will attract a lot of boys and she will have boyfriends too.

Naksh: If someone will be anywhere near my daughter, I will break his legs.

Keerti: Haw! That's so mean.

Naksh leaned forward and said "Here we are talking about having a daughter, but we haven't started the process yet!"

Keerti blushed a shade of crimson. She looked way, trying not to maintain eye contact with him.

Naksh pulled her closer and kissed her on her forehead.

Keerti smiled and hugged him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Glossary

Dada : The Hindi term for Paternal Grandfather

Chachi : The Hindi term for your paternal aunt (uncle's wife).