Chapter One, Pelothocoins

Luna heard a clattering sound, and shortly after, the door opened. Her husband Rolf stepped inside. He gave her a quick kiss, and asked what she'd made for dinner. He was finally home from one of his adventures, this time with two boxes of some weird looking but rather small creatures floating behind him - he had always loved the 'locomotor' spell. So Luna had cooked him his favorite meal.

She didn't like cooking, but it was expected of her now that she was a grow woman.

The creatures was not the only new thing he had brought with him, his face, neck and arms full of blemishes and blisters. She recognized the creatures at once, as pelothocoins, they like to live by the sea in the North, build houses of seashells. They give you horrible rashes, blemishes, and so on by spitting on you. She felt a knife stab inside her, and flashed back to when she had seen her farther come home with those. She remembered her mother smiling and laughing, and that she brew him a potion that would extract the poisonous spat. It was just a couple of months before she died. That was partly why Luna never liked going to potion class in her time at Hogwarts. It reminded her to much about her mother.

She knew she could make the potion Rolf required. She always brewed the potions correctly. But after her mother died of a potion gone wrong when she was nine, she just did not feel like trying. She was told it happened because her mother casted the wrong spell, and that she went away quickly. She never got to say goodbye. So instead of ‘Potions’ being her best and most enjoyable subject, it was ‘Care of Magical creatures’ became her favorite class, at Hogwarts.

She could have been the best in her year if she had wanted to, with the exception of the know-it-all Hermione Granger. She did like Hermione, now after having spent some time with her in the DA and all. She hadn't thought of Hogwarts in a while, or her old friends, so she took some minutes to remember it:

She didn't think Hermione liked her so much; she had been quite insulting and rude when they first met and she had told her that she thought The Quibbler was rubbish. Naturally Hermione had not known that it was her father who wrote, made and printed them, or that she would one day take over the business herself. But when she had accepted Hermione's SPEW badge and donated a sickle, she thought Hermione had liked her a bit more.

 She remembered how she had spent her spare time in her first years at Hogwarts; wandering alone in the forbidden forest and helping Hagrid with the animal. She had almost none friends, only Moony - her cat.

But thankfully she had met Ginny. Luna and Ginny became friends sometime during their third year. She had helped Ginny search for a book in the school library once, and they had a good time together. In their fourth year it was Ginny who lead Harry and Neville into her train compartment, and they chatted merrily. She and Ginny became bestfriend during their fourth year, she had gotten a necklace for Christmas that said 'Bestfriends', and Ginny had the other part that said 'forever'. She became close to Harry, Hermione, Ron, Neville as well. And she remember walking along with Ginny one day in the hallway, and they heard someone whispering, pointing at her and laughing, when they had gone past, one of the whispering girls shouted;

 "You're a FREAK Loony,"

and then gone back to whispering and giggling. She didn't mind, but Ginny, oh you should have seen her. Suddenly she was going back to them, shouted a spell and hundreds of angry and shrieking bats began attacking the whispering girls. They panicked, and when Ginny finally made the bats disappear, they looked horrible. Clothes were ripped, and their once so pretty hair was all messed up and dirty, and scratches everywhere. Ginny shouted as they  began running away;

"AND WHILE YOU'RE AT IT, YOU CAN TELL THE OTHERS TO STOP CALLING HER LOONY TOO!"

She had felt a sense of pride that moment. And she smiled thinking about it now.

She asked Ginny one day what she liked about her, and Ginny had said;
 "You are kind, smart, and extremely funny."

That made her feel puzzled, she didn't know she was so funny, so she had asked her in what way. Ginny had said;

"Oh, well you always say what's on your mind. No matter what, and sometimes it is pretty offensive, and that is funny. No one else can do that."

She had asked harry the same question when they were on their way to Slughorns Chirstmas party. He had laughed and said;

"Er, you have sort of" - he was fumbling for better words- "a knack for embarrassing honesty."

The following summer was when she had painted portraits of her five bestfriends, in the only available space left in her room - the ceiling. She did Ginny first, then Neville, then Harry, Ron and Hermione. And then she painted a line binding them all together with a sparkling golden paint, and wrote the words "friends" beneath with her own curly and enhanced handwriting. When she was finally done, and admired her work she had felt like something was missing. They looked kind of dead. So she had enchanted them so that they seemed to be breathing.

Then she thought about her father, the poor creature, as if he had not suffered enough. Her father had sort of lost it after the second wizarding war. He hadn’t gone completely mental, but it is like he-someone had cast an aging charm on him or something. He kept forgetting what he was going to do, or would start a sentence and just dropped off in the middle, and he seemed to have lost all coordination of where thing was, even his own body-parts. His silvery white hair, started turning grey. It happened all too quickly. After what seemed like a year, he was unable to do anything. So she gave up everything, she was supposed to start her naturalist career, but now she couldn't. He was the only family she had left. So she stayed with him, the whole time. She saw the life slowly draining out of him, she had no idea how she made it. Every second was so painful, thinking of how she now watched her second parent die.

"No child is supposed to watch their parents die, before they are even turned twenty," she thought.

She thought back at his funeral, she was the only one there. She regretted it now. How selfish she had been, she had only wanted to get away as fast as possible. To forget everything, and start looking  for that Crumple-horned Snorkack thing. She wanted so bad to prove to the world that they truly do exist. But she had had no idea where to start, her father had mentioned Sweden. And they had gone looking for it there once, but it was only for a week. She had thought about where she thought they could be;

"in the mountains,
in fresh water,
valleys,
by the coast."

She even thought they might turn invisible when they get scared. Some animals can do that, you know. So she had searched, and searched in every valley, every mountain, along the coasts of Sweden.

But nothing.

____________________________

THANK YOU, almost 50 reads .. I love the song 'People help the people' by Birdy, and it is perfect for sad things. Please play it, while listening, before or after. If you want... I will dedicate my chapters to you if you, read, comment or vote on anything of mine.

xx. Obliviate713