Chapter six, The letters

Luna walked up the hill alone and wrapped her coat tightly around herself. The sky was darkening and she could tell it was about to rain. Rolf was on one of his trips again. Thankfully she soon saw the sign: The Borrow, and flickering light coming out from the windows. She heard familiar voices when she walked by one of the windows.

"Are you telling me that you and Hermione have lived together for seventeen years now and you have never show her the pictures? I cannot believe you Ronald Weasley! This is simply outrageous. Now, lets see if there is something I can do about that. Here is the one from-

"Oh mum, please. She doesn't have to see them."

"From your fourth year. Oh yes that was when Fred and George had just used your Puffskein as a- well never mind."

Those were most certainly the voices of Molly Weasley and Ron she thought. But did she mention Hermione? Was she there too? Maybe this was not such a good idea, I should go back, she thought. Luna pulled herself together she had just walked for twenty minutes, she couldn't just turn around and go back now. She knocked the door twice.  She heard Molly humming and hurrying to open. 

"Oh Luna dear, step inside please. You must be freezing." She smiled. "You are so lucky, Ron and Hermione was just stepping by."

She lead Luna into the small but so cozy living room and tucked her into a yellow blanket.

"Would you like some tea? Toddy? Coffee? Hot chocolate?"

"Um, tea would be fine please." Luna said feeling grateful of Mrs. Weasley. It has been so long since anyone ever took care of her.

"And while you're here, Ronald was just showing Hermione some pictures you should see them too."

She said and making her way into the kitchen.

Luna looked up at Ron and Hermione up close for the first time in a while. They had met briefly only yesterday, when she was dropping the twins of at the train station for their very first school day. But this was something entirely different. Hermione looked tired so did Ron. Something was troubling them. Luna would think it rude to ask that at the very beginning so she just smiled and said:

"It's so good to see you! I can't believe how long it has been." She got up and hugged them both and squeezed herself between them in the small couch. 

"I now right! You should definitely come and dine with us sometime. Right Ron?"

"Right." He grinned. Ron had a hint of a beard. Like he hadn't been shaving for the past few days.

Luna looked down at the moving photos. There were one of the entire Weasley family, all smiling up. They must be- what? Twenty or something. A lot of family pictures. Some from Egypt. Fred and George tried to shut Percy inside a tomb in one of them. Then pictures of a baby girl, the name said Rose. That was their oldest girl then. Moving pictures of Rose riding her first broom. Pictures of Rose and Hugo. Mrs. Weasley gave Luna her tea and sat down with them.

Just then there was a loud crack. Molly jumped up. It sounded like it was coming from the one of windows. They all got up. 

"Oh god gracious. There  is an owl and a huge black raven outside," Molly spoke and opened the window to let them in. We came together around the table. Luna recognised the raven immediately. It was Lysander's Hebridead raven. I was carrying two letters marked with the Hogwarts crest. Ron and Hermione took the owl, it was probably from Rose. Luna opened the first letter and read. It was definitely Lorcan's handwriting. 

Dear mum, 

I GOT INTO RAVENCLAW. I can't believe it. Our dormitory is so cool. The door asked me 'what happened to dead things'. I was the only one who answered correctly! Dead thing stay dead. I know because of grandpa. Tomorrow is the first school day, I can't wait. Say hi to dad for me. 

Lorcan

"Lorcan got into Ravenclaw." Luna announced.

"So did Rose! Oh i'm so happy for her. I know she's going to be great!" Hermione beamed.

Luna then opened the other letter. Lysander's handwriting was nothing like Luna or Rolf's writing, it was  practically impossible to read. 

I KNEW IT. I'M A GRYFFINDOR. Lily got in Gryffindor too, but Lorcan and Rose got in Ravenclaw. But I don't care. Gryffindor is much better. Fred and James sat and ate with me. They are like coolest people ever. We put Dungbombs in this boy Amus's bed. He was so scared, we almost died of laughter. Don't write back. (The others will think I'm homesick or something.)

Luna smiled and felt the tears pressing forward. She let Hebri out, he had a long way to fly tonight. It felt more like November than the beginning of September. Her little babies were growing up so fast. She wished Rolf was here to share the moment. She handed the letter to Hermione. If anyone would understand how Luna felt it would be her. Hermione hugged Luna tightly. 

"Oh I know." She said with glossy eyes. 

Molly put out a tray of freshly baked cinnamon rolls and Arthur joined the table as well. Ron took the first bite. Luna took one a roll too. They were hot, and the cinnamon smelled like heaven and Christmas. She enjoyed three of them and finished her tea. Luna always rolled them up and ate them like that. She hadn't had them since before her mother had her accident. She made herself a promise to bake more, and send sweets to her boys.

She smiled at all of them and thanked for the lovely meal. Molly insisted she should take a basked with cinnamon rolls and would not take no for a answer. Luna stepped outside. The chilly autumn air gave her goosebumps. It was about ten pm, and the stars were starting to come out. The grass was wet and drops of rain were shining from the moonlight. She walked up the hill and saw a shooting star. It was breathtaking. She stopped to admire the view. Luna took the comet as a token for good things to happen. It was her star. She took out her wand and lifted the raindrops. They were thousands and thousands, slowly rising all around her. She made a twirl and continued the path almost dancing along with the drops of light. Her long dirty blond hair flapping against her back.