8

I killed the engine on my bike, night had finally taken hold on my way to the docks. The scent of salt from the harbor filled the air, as the sound of the waves breaking gently against the metal beams holding up abandon structures was the only sound to be heard above the silence. I walked down the narrow alley between empty buildings, my hand resting lightly on the hilt of one of my knives.
I took a building on my right, knowing Zimo would not just wait for me out in the open. I knew full and well he would know that one of the executioners would be sent for him. The door creaked on rusty hinges as I stepped over the thresh hold, I paused just inside, tilting my head to hear above the waves and the dripping sound that echoed through the building.
"Kara.." Zimo's soft and heavily accented voice echoed. "I hoped it would be you."
"Zimo, you've been found guilty of murder, and of breaking oath, you are hereby condemned to death by the state of Massachusetts and the United States government." I spoke up, my voice never wavering.
I took a heavy step into the building, my eyes not fully adjusted to the lack of light. The blinding pain to the side of my head caught me off guard. I staggered to the side, pulling the hunting knife from its resting place. A scurry of steps echoed throughout building, coming from every direction. I turned in a circle only making out vague outline of shapes in the darkness.
"I see they let you out." His voice came from all directions it seemed.
"Zimo, stop playing games and take your death like a man." I stated through gritted teeth, warmth tickled down my temple from where I had been hit.
"Now, now, Kara, you and I have chatting to do." His voice was calm as he spoke. "Did you ever think I had a reason to come back to this wretched city?"
"You're a crazy man, do I need an explanation?" I snapped, slowly crossing forward, my outstretched hand felt the cool smooth plane of unused machinery.
"Do you ever second guess your deathlist, my darling? Or the hit list that your keeper received?" I tried to focus on his voice, attempting to pin point where in the building he might be hiding.
"I follow the orders given to me, you of all people should understand that." I replied, pressing my back to the equipment behind me.
"As am I." His voice hissed from somewhere up ahead. "You see, I was ordered to kill that man, the one that was part of the order. Along with the other three that I killed on my way to D.C. and back."
"Under whose authority?" I made my way toward the center.
"Someone higher then those who give you your orders." Blinding pain hit me full force in the back of my head.
I went sprawling to the ground and rolled to my back out of habit, sharp pain exploded in my ribs. I curled into a ball, I saw stars as a boot made contact with my face. Bring my hands up trying to protect my face and sides the best I could as another kick land squarely in my side.
"Don't you see Kara, they wish take the order out slowly, along with rest of the executioners." He stated as I felt a hand grasp the front of my shirt, fist connected with my face.
"Liar." I spat out, he brought me swiftly up and slammed me back to the cement ground. My head bounced on impact, flashes of white danced across my vision.
"Am I? Did you think to check to see is Jonesy really did commit the crimes he was convicted of?" He asked, pulling me back up sharply, I managed to find my feet.
I took a swing into the darkness, hoping to connect with something. Air passed by my fist as I missed, I felt a shove from behind me, I turned on a dime, hooking my foot up. Kicking into the inky black void, I made impact, however it wasn't with him. Pain seared up through my ankle into my knee as I realized I had kicked one of the metal machines full force.
"That was beautiful kick, you always did have the best ones in the home." Pain rocked its way through the back of my neck as I dropped like sack of dead weight. "You see, I'm tasked with taking out the order, one by one. When I was told to come to Boston I hoped it would be you."
"Fuck You." I spat, crawling up to my knees. His boot connected with tender ribs again.
"I tried that once, your pet came to the rescue." He spoke directly into my ear. "Pietro was right about you, you would find me. To bad I had to kill him."
That's when I saw red, Pietro was one of my informants. Him and his twin sister, Zimo must have been in Boston longer then I expected. There was no way to know I kept in contact with Maximoff twins, I only went to them when Connor or Murphy couldn't give me the info I need. I was supposed to keep them safe.
I rolled to my butt, it was the first time in long time I made eye contact with him. His face inches from mine. I glared up hard at him, my finger tips brushing the knife in my boot, slowly grabbing hold.
"It's going to be such a joy to tell him that I finally killed you. Watch the pain course through his face again, knowing he was to late to stop it this time." He spat back, the sound of gleefulness dripped through his words. I pulled the knife out and stabbed it up.
Briefly I felt the knife hit a bit of resistance before plunging in as I thrusted my body weight up into it. His face contorted for a moment as he looked down, warmth seeped between my fingers, the feel of his blood covering my hands
"Zimo you have been deemed unfit for society, and as your executioner I held up my oath to my country. In hell may you never find peace." I spoke slowly, twisting my knife in his gut.
He leaned in grabbing my neck before his body went lax. I heard the door creak open, my body tensed under the dead man. I tried to push him off but I couldn't find the strength to do so.
"Lassie?" I heard Murphy's voice echo through the room.
"Center of the room." I called out, laying back, slowly losing what strength I did have as the adrenal began to wear off.
"Kara!" I heard Connor state as the sound of quick foot steps stopped near me. "Please tell me.."
"Not dead." I breathed pain coursed through my ribs with each breath I took.
Conner reached down and pulled the man off my body, Murphy grasped my wrist and pulled me up. He scooped me up in his arms, anyother time I would of protested, however my thoughts weren't coherent and what little I could see swam in and out of focus.
"We need to get her the hospital." Connor said to his brother.
"No, just get me to my boys." I said, every part of me hurt and I wanted to see Steve. I wanted to show him I was okay, I could handle myself.