13

"So where did you go today?" Steve asked as I sat down at the table, downing two of the white pills.
    I flicked my gaze to Bucky who was helping him make dinner. I chewed on my bottom lip, I wasn't sure how he would react to what I was about to say. Steve wouldn't bat an eye I know that but Bucky, my ever changing wild card.
    "I went to the Boston PD, I wanted to see Jonesy's record." I stated, Bucky looked up from the island, his cold eyes landed on me as Steve turned slight brow pinched together.
    "Why?" Bucky asked slowly.
    "It was something Zimo said to me. He had been ordered to kill executioners and people in the Order." I told them, gauging their reactions. "And before either of you chide me, or remind me that I was dealing with a crazy man that's why I didn't tell you yesterday. I didn't want either of you stop to me."
   "And?" Steve asked, turning back to the hot stove. Bucky's eyes still bore into me, the plates in his arm clicking.
    "He was never convicted of any crimes, the girl who filed the report recanted after we gave him his warning." I explained, raising from the table as Bucky very slowly moved around the island, his eyes never wavering from me.
    "What do you mean she recanted?" Steve asked, keeping his back to us.
    I rounded the table keeping it between Bucky and I. I could see he was pissed, his lips a thin line, the muscles in his shoulders seeming to hunch up. I didn't exactly break any rules, it was another one of those grey areas. We follow orders, we never question them. By going and asking for the file I, in a way, was questioning orders. My heart rate picked up, as I started surveying options while never looking away from the man with the predatory stare.
     "What I mean is it wasn't in his file. I talked with Captain Wilson, he was the one that told me legally he was a free man, since there were no charges against him." I stated, Bucky stopped just on the other side of the table from me. His hands splayed out on the dark wood, as he leaned a bit forward.
    "Then what?" He growled, fuck, I was in deep shit.
    I knew when I left this morning there was a chance I would be caught. I knew I would have to explain myself if that happened, and I was praying to make if home before him. Me and my stupid curiosity. No matter how I tried to spin this, I was up shit creek.
    "I went to the Needham PD." I watched as the man tensed even further.
    Closest thing I could make to was the top of the metal cupboards. They were strong enough to hold my weight but not his. This was tested four years ago, and had been a last restore when I pissed him off. Hell, I have an extra pillow and blanket up there. Just goes to show you how much I piss this man off.
    "Captian Romanov showed me his file there, he didn't do shit in Needham." I explained, ten feet to the island, and a four foot jump. But in that ten feet was a table and a very angry man.
    "Anything else happen?" Steve asked, turning to grab the chopped veggies off the counter, not bothering to look at the situation unfolding less then twelve feet away.
    Did he really have to ask that question. I can't lie to them, that's breaking one of our core rules. Jerk, now I really was in trouble.
    "Ran into an executioner named Thor, rightful pissed off asshole cause he didn't get the job of the Order." I spat out.
     No sooner then the words slipped from my lips did the table go careening to the side. I sprang from my spot, rushing passed Bucky. I went to duck under his arm but he had learned since the last time. He snagged me around my waist and pulled me from my feet. He walked me over to the bed and slammed me down.
   I rolled to my side, grabbing my ribs as pain racked it's way through them. I had the wind knocked out of me with how hard threw me down. I heard his buckle clink, as I attempted to roll to my knees coughing. Bucky reach out and shoved me back over to my back.
    "No!" Steve yelled, rushing out of the kitchen, he grabbed Bucky by the shoulder and pulled him away from me.
    They squared off with each other as I tried to remember how to breathe. Fuck, here we go again. I pulled myself to knees, grabbing at one of their hands. If I didn't deescalate this I would have an all out brawl in our home.. again.
    "Not while she's hurt." Steve stated through gritted teeth. "Never while she's hurt."
   "She could of gotten herself killed. In her state, another executioner could of easily taken her out." Bucky hissed back. "And Thor has the size he could easily have done so."
    "He didn't and she's home. I let you have your fun while she went for the pills." Steve growled back at the man, my fingers laced around Bucky's as I reached over and grabbed Steve's hand. "You won't do this to her while she's injured the way she is."
    "Boys, please." I coughed, trying to defuse the situation. Bucky slowly looked down at me, his eyes softening a bit before they returned to Steve. "Not today, I just want eat something and curl up. I know what I did was incredibly stupid, but I had to know."
   Bucky continued to stare down at him, I could see that he was thinking it over. His features continued to soft and he sat down on the edge of the bed. Steve stood there for a moment longer till he decided it was safe to return to the kitchen. Leaving the two of us to talk it out.
    "Doll, do you realize that you had me worried when I came home and I didn't find you?" He asked, placing his hand on my knee. This was out of character for him, but then again he had been trying to open more for the last year. Trying hard not to the brutal man he was trained to be. "Knowing the state you were in last night and then finding you gone. What if Thor wanted to challenge your rank? There is no way you could of fought back."
Ranking, it's an executioner thing. The higher the rank the better the perks, well for most. You can choose what area to operate in, if you want to move, the authorities pay for it. Better housing in dorms, you get your pick of women when the locals decide to celebrate. Even though I am a high ranking executioner I'm still bottom of the ladder, mostly because I'm a female and partially for decking the Commander.
If an executioner challenges you to a fight, you go until one of you is incapacitated or dead. There is no one breaking up a challenge, and there are no rules. Had Thor decided to challenge me, I would not be able to say no, and if he won then he would take over my rank and my title in the Order.
     "I know, and I'm sorry." I leaned into him, curling my body around him.
     Bucky placed his hand on my back and pulled me into his lap. He stroked his hand through my hair gently, kissing my temple. He looked over to Steve who pulled the table back to its original spot. He placed our plates down and looked over to us.