encounter

September 15th, 2001

      Thomas was running faster than he ever had before. His worn down sneakers scraped the pavement as he hooked around a corner. His chest hurt and he had a horrific cramp in his side, but he couldn't stop. If he stopped, he was as good as dead.

      Thomas had been out of the orphanage for only two weeks and he was already being targeted. He barely managed to escape, he had to give away all his candy bars and cigarettes to get the other boys to cover his whereabouts the night he snuck out. The other boys didn't know that he was never coming back, but at least they got some Twix bars out of it.

      He knew there was three of them on his trail, there may have been more but right now he was counting three. He couldn't tell if his heavy breathing was louder than then the ponding adrenaline in his ears. He ankles ached and his calf muscles burned. He was about to drop and give up, he couldn't keep running anymore.

      Thomas checked behind him, seeing no one one the sidewalk, then made a sharp turn into an alleyway. He dropped beside a dumpster, his chest heaving up and down. He scooted behind it, so he was completely hidden. He needed to catch his breath. He leaned his head against the brick wall, trying to calm his racing heart. He didn't plan his escape very well. His jeans were already torn, his black shirt doing nothing to protect him from the cold of the nights. His hair was probably dirty and horrific to look at, he hadn't showered since the orphanage. The bags under his eyes put the emo kids to shame. That was the worst part for Thomas, he couldn't sleep. It wasn't even because he was on the streets, it's because of whatever was wrong with his head.

      His mouth felt dry and his throat like sandpaper. He desperately needed some water. He was about to get up until he heard a noise that made his blood run cold.

      It was them.

      "We know you're in here stupid boy, did you really think you could hide from us?"

      Thomas squeezed his eyes shut, like that would make him less visible. He needed to go, he needed to run, they'd find him. His heart was racing again as he pushed himself up to stand behind the dumpster. He needed to bolt, they might not be able to catch him if he went fast enough.

      Thomas heard their soft footsteps by the front of the alley, they were moving toward him. He took a deep breath and ran, his arms pumping madly as he sprinted out the other side of the alley. He heard shouting and the men's footsteps picking up, but he didn't slow down.

      He ran down a dark street, trying his best to keep close to the houses for some coverage. He didn't dare look behind him, but he knew they were close.

      His chest was heaving again before he was even down the street. He needed an escape quickly or he was certainly done for.

      An idea popped into Thomas head that he didn't like, but he didn't have a choice.

      Thomas stopped running completely. He calmly walked into the middle of the street, turning and facing the mass of men running toward them. He saw them skid to a halt, looking at each other suspiciously.

      "What's the kid doing?" One of the guys asked another quietly.

      Thomas closed his eyes, willing every part of his body to stay still so he could focus.

      He reached out his palms, trying to drone out the noise of the men screaming at each other to 'just tackle him already'.

      Thomas felt it, felt it then, the darkness spreading through his body. He opened his eyes and gasped, his veins ran black under his skin making him look truly terrifying.