Track 41: It Hurts Until It Doesn't

Misery Loves Company

By: theinkslingerr

Track 41: It Hurts Until It Doesn't

Dom sat there staring at his knees.

It was the last thing I saw before slipping out of the living room and bumping into Enid.

Out of the frying pan and into the fire. Great.

Misery Loves Company had been postponed a week, so this was the first time we were face to face with the cameras off.

I knew Enid had gotten in trouble with Ackerman, because we failed to deliver a new episode to the fans, but I found it hard to care. She'd uploaded some kind of Kylie Jenner tutorial instead, and people complained, but seemed to enjoy it anyway.

During today's shoot, she ignored me and only spoke when absolutely necessary. That was fine with me. What was I supposed to say to the ex-best friend that was blackmailing me? The only time Enid acknowledged my existence was when Paula was nearby. She watched me like a hawk just in case the truth about her bulimia slipped out.

It was exhausting. And I knew Paula and everyone else could sense the tension.

Now, alone in the hallway with Enid, I panicked a little. Had she heard me and Dom's conversation? The last thing I needed to do was give her more ammo to use against me.

I braced myself, and looked right through her before passing by without a word.

But as expected, she had a few for me.

"Figures you'd peddle your services to Sienna."

I turned around. "What?"

Enid's stare was piercing. "I saw the pics you took for Sienna, and the collab you filmed for her and Ji-Hyun. Now that I've got professional cameramen, it's embarrassing to look back at the stuff I let you film. Everything's shaky and the angles are off."

A hot, red anger curled in the pit of my stomach.

Really?

This was what we were gonna do now?

Since the start of the show, I'd been relieved of my duties. It was filmed and edited by professionals with help from Enid. This whole time, the only thing she'd asked me about were the special effects I used in the intro for her old videos. I guess she wanted to show fans she hadn't changed. That she was still the same old Enid, even though she was rubbing shoulders with the rich and famous.

I'd never told her, but apparently it didn't matter.

The show must go on— and it did when she put together a new intro with none of the effects I'd used before.

Now she was throwing shade at me for helping Sienna and Ji-Hyun? People who actually appreciated everything I did for them.

"I'm sure if the cameramen were doing it for free like I was, they wouldn't be all that concerned about which angles flatter you best," I hissed.

She rolled her eyes. "You always did come up with the best excuses."

"Wow. How could you— I don't— was I asleep for the past six years? How could I not see this? How could I not see you?"

"You saw me," Enid insisted, crossing her arms. "At least a little. You were just scared of being completely alone. Keep whining about how I used you, because the way I see it you were using me too."