FIFTY-SEVEN

— • —

may 12, 2018

I got it from my mama

liked by elizabetholsenofficial, robertdowneyjr, and 663, 732 others

user1: omg you and your mom are so cute

user2: they look nothing alike to me but they're cute smol babies

user3: awwww the cute livingston girls

user4: okay but knowing chris probably took this picture of them makes my heart go whoosh

user5: CUTIE PIES

elizabetholsenofficial: cutest ladies ever!
coleliving: except you're missing from the photo!

user6: okay but what does mama l think of chris

user7: MAMA L

rubyparkinson: such a sweet photo!
coleliving: thank you girly!

user8: every time ruby and cole react i swoon they're so sweet

user9: cole and her mom look a lot alike to me

user10: you guys both look a little sleepy! long night? we hope you're getting enough rest

user11: anyone notice chris hasn't commented yet? weird
user12: he doesn't need to comment on every one of her posts?? weird

||

"God you were such an annoying kid."

"Mom!"

"What? The evidence is right there!" Her mother wagged her finger at the television in her living room, which was set up with home videos. The current video was of her mother yelling at Colette at age 3 to get away from the pool. Ever the daredevil, Cole was sticking her foot in and giving her mother an evil little smirk. "Look at that devilish smirk. Brat."

"You got your revenge when I finally did learn how to swim and then you pushed me into the pool on Easter." Cole remembered feeling so beautiful in her pale blue Easter dress before her mother had shot her arm out and sent Colette flying into her grandmother's pool. Her mother laughed at the memory, reaching down for the remote and pausing the image of baby Colette on the screen.

"You've been here for two days now. You finally ready to talk about it?" 

One thing Cole loved about her mother was that her answer would actually matter. If Cole said yes, her mother would play the part of a skilled listener. If Cole said no, her mother would nod and resume with the home videos until Cole was ready to talk. But not talking meant avoiding, and Cole thought she'd probably already done too much of that.

"Last week I had a pregnancy scare." Her mother's eyes didn't widen, her face calm and composed. Another thing Cole loved about her mother. "Well, it was a scare to Chris. For me, it was more of a pregnancy hope. And I know that sounds crazy because we haven't been dating forever but I was so excited when I was sitting there, waiting for it to pop up with the results. The look on his face, Mom," Cole whispered. "He looked so happy when it was a negative. And I shouldn't hold a grudge for that because obviously it was insane of me to be hopeful, but after Taylor... I just want a baby, Mom. I want to go to my son's soccer practice or my daughter's ballet class. Hell, I'll go to my daughter's soccer practice and my son's ballet class. Just a kid that's healthy and smiles and looks at me like I'm their whole world."

"It isn't fair," her mother said softly, "that you only got that for an hour."

"Not even an hour," Cole whispered, shaking her head and feeling the tears start to form. "Fucking forty-three minutes."

Cole couldn't hold it in any longer. Her mother was ready to catch her, arms outstretched when Cole fell into them. The sobs she had tried so hard to hold back when Chris was around fell easily against her mom's sweater. She was probably staining it with mascara, but her mother wouldn't care.

"I know it hurts," her mother whispered, "but you can't blame him, Cole. You're ready for a child because you are already a mother. Don't give me any of that 'I'm not a mother anymore' shit. You are a mother. It isn't fair you didn't get to keep her, but you're already used to the feeling of having someone look at you like you're their whole world. Chris hasn't. He hasn't been touched by that, yet. So don't blame him for not being ready for it. It's a daunting thing, being a parent."

"He'd be the best dad in the world."

"I know that. You know that. But he doesn't. He's scared, Cole. Let him be scared. But you can't blame him for that."

"I really fucking wanted that test to be positive."

"I know, baby. I know."

— • —