Chapter 1

Hello everyone! Welcome to "Silver's Kiss".

Please enjoy and I would love to know what you think!

~~

Evenings were usually quiet in the Pellazo Kingdom. Guards were returning to their barracks in the oppressing castle in the middle of town. Women and children retired for the night as shops closed. Men went to the inns and taverns to relax.

One of the more popular places in the evening was the Blood Moon.

The tavern reeked of alcohol and the hazy pronounced smell of smoke. The dim lights flickered, casting darkening shadows upon faces and walls. On the left, was the bar. A single server stood and was casually cleaning glasses.

At the back was the stage. A dark red curtain played as backdrop for the small dark wood platform. Tables with small single candles filled the space. Men with hats low, cutting across their eyes, sat at the various tables. Some drinking silently. Some smoking, adding to the haze. Some quietly talking among themselves. All hiding their identities.

This was one of the few bars that accepted all types of folks. Especially the ones that are unwanted.

Surprisingly enough, it was one of the more respectable bars. The patrons here are very mannerly.

I chug down another shot of the burning liquor, slamming the cup down with a sharp exhale. I was hidden in the darkest of the shadows, watching the musician in the corner calmly playing the piano. The bartender glances sideways to me.

"That's your third one in the past hour... Are you sure you'll keep your balance upon that stage?" He continues tranquilly cleaning, his eyes not leaving the cup.

I give a sharp hateful smile, "I can handle my alcohol."

"I never doubted that Silver. But is everything alright?"

My smile doesn't falter, "Thank you Tim, but I don't need a therapeutic session right now. I've just got an interesting job tomorrow."

Tim, the bartender, shrugs, "Alright. Well, you are on in five. You might want to go."

I slip off the barstool, staying in the darkness at the back of the tavern, and slipping towards the stage.

The regulars are all here today. My eyes flicker between the different patrons. They fall upon a stranger.

The man was tall, but currently slumped into his chair. He picked a prime spot to stay hidden, near the middle, and where the least amount of candlelight shined. His clothing was dark and seemingly tattered, but it was still too fine for such an establishment. A top hat hid his face. Well that's certainly not the style of this kingdom.

I take my place next to the piano, allowing the musician to finish his song. He finishes and faint clapping fills the murky room.

"Next, we have the Masked Dancer!"

Woops and cheers echoed around. Anyone who didn't have their attention on the stage, now did. Magically, all the candles dimmed further. I notice as the new-comer tenses.

A bright light shone upon the stage and slowly, I move away from the pianist.

My heels quietly click upon the stairs as I slowly go up. My blood-red dress rustling against my feet as I look towards the audience.

One of stranger's eyes peek through the shadows of his hat. I catch it, their sharp grey coming in contact with my bright brown. My painted blood-red lips curve into a sly smirk and I run a delicate finger against the shape of my silver mascaraed mask. He tips his hat in return, something playing behind those silver eyes of his. Something familiar.