Chapter 4

"SCREECH!"

I moan, groggy from sleep, and roll over to face the window. "What do you want you annoying ball of feathers?" I ask hoarsely.

"SCREECH!"

"Ow!" I yelp, falling out of bed as I feel a painful pinch on my finger.

"Thud!"

I groan, looking up at my red-tailed hawk, perched on my bed looking down upon me. Untangling myself from the blankets I dragged with me, I sit up, pouting while massaging my hurting finger. My bird looks smug. I stick out my tongue, "No need to be so rude!"

"Screech!"

I roll my eyes, "Fine! You can go hunting this morning!"

"Squawk?"

I stand, opening the window, "Go on you big bimbo!"

Blade squeaks happily and takes off from my bed, zooming out the window. I stick my head out of the window, "Make sure you come home before 12! And no boys!"

I catch the attention of some passing villagers who were doing their morning chores. I flash a smile, my hair flying out into the light morning breeze and shout down, "Sorry! It's Blade."

Some villagers look up and see my bird flying, hunting for prey.

They chuckle and shake their heads, returning to their chores. This was a small village so everyone knew everything. I grin widely, happy to be back to a calm country village rather than the dictatorship of the Pellazo Kingdom.

I take a deep breath of the fresh air, grinning widely.

"Lizzie? Are you home?" The melodic honey voice of Malinda rings through the house. I rush back inside, bolting through the house like a child.

I follow her voice to the kitchen, though it was more of a brewer/potion/healing room.

"Morning Madam Malinda!"

There, sitting next to a large cauldron, was my 'aunt' and maternal figure. She is a witch, a wise experienced and old witch. Although she looked younger than thirty, she was over eighty years old.

She smiles at me, her green eyes sparkling as she stands and jogs over, "Oh my beautiful girl! Look how you have grown up!" Her many bracelets and necklaces jingle as she tackles me. I laugh, catching her and hugging her back, "It's only been a year Madam!"

She pulls away, her sharp green eyes piercing me, "Yes. But that's been too long!" She snaps. I playfully roll my eyes then smile, "Well, I'm here now."

"Which I am very thankful for, for it is the summer season and I've been getting more customers thsn my old heart can handle!"

I give her an unfazed look. She smirks, brushing away her mane of curly dirty blonde hair. "Alright! You know me too well. But I have had too many and I hope you remember what I taught you!"

I scoff sarcastically, flicking my ponytail, "Why of course!" I then smirk, "I also have a surprise for my Madam." Slowly, I pull out the keys that I stole the other day. Malinda's green eyes go wide. She glides over to me, in a seemingly trace-like state.

First happiness enters her eyes, then anger. "Child! What were you thinking?! You could have gotten killed!" She scolds me. I just grin smugly. Her expression softens and she attacks me, grabbing me into a strangling hug.

I could feel her silently crying and I hug her back.

"Thank you dearie." She whispers. I hug her tighter, closing my eyes and enjoying the warmth of the feeling of a family member. "I miss him too..."