{Soulmate AU} A Burning Moon // Akutagawa Ryuunosuke x Reader

Requested by TheKawaiiSilverWolf
Please excuse typos for now. It's currently 4 am :')

It was extremely close to silent at the ungodly hour that it was. The streets were almost empty of life, and it was darker than usual. The moon was full tonight, but it was quite cloudy, creating the dark, quiet, and empty night that it was. A very convenient time to partake dangerous and very illegal activities.

On this night, the Port Mafia's dog, Akutagawa Ryuunosuke, was to carry out a small assassination job. It was a very simple job, especially with his Rashomon. It would be quick, quiet, and easy. He didn't even have to worry about making a mess. The black clad man lifted his hand to cover his mouth, letting out a few coughs as he walked along the sidewalk, making his way to where he knew his target was bound to be. As he brought his hand away from his face, he caught a quick glimpse of that mark on his wrist, a mark that had been with him since childhood.

A crescent moon shape was permanently on his pale wrist. Unlike other people, he was never too fixated on the mark. Matter of fact, he barely payed mind to it at all. Akutagawa went about his life, more focused on other things than a trivial soulmate marking. Besides, he had decided long ago that the mark meant nothing, that he would never meet his so called 'soulmate'. Despite this, he did find himself staring at it with blank eyes every once in a while. As he approached his target's location, Akutagawa lowered his hand to his side, almost instantly forgetting once more of the mark's existence.

As expected, Akutagawa's target was where he thought. He was with a few other people, though they quickly scurried away like rats when they saw Akutagawa approaching, his intimidating and horrific aura giving them incentive to. The target was a minor drug dealer, but he was causing a bit of trouble, and Mori Ougai decided it best to have him 'taken care of'.

"Rashomon," Akutagawa said in his slightly hoarse voice, activating his ability and letting his Rashomon appear from his coat. The target's eyes widened, and he quickly gathered his things and started to run in a vain attempt to save his life. Rashomon shot after him, catching him quickly, and easily ripping the man to shreds. Akutagawa lifted his hand once more to let out a few coughs, ready to turn around and report back to headquarters, but as he did, he felt a slight burning sensation on his wrist.

In confusion and slight curiosity, he held his wrist up so he could see it clearly. He saw that crescent moon mark on his wrist, though it was a bit hot to the touch. He had heard somewhere at one point that when you're near your soulmate, the mark on your wrist will start to heat up, creating a light burning feeling on the area of the mark. Akutagawa quickly looked up from his wrist, not lowering it, before looking from side to side. When he saw no one, he turned his head to look behind him, which immediately made him lock eyes with wide [eye colour] ones. The clouds had cleared a bit, letting the bright light reflecting off of the moon shine down on the empty streets.

Slowly, he lowered his arm and turned to face the girl that was across the street, not breaking eye contact. In the moonlight, he could see her shaking a bit, though it wasn't a particularly cold night. There was a bag at her feet laying on it's side, a few items spilling out from it. Her eyes were wide, her pupils dilated, and she was biting her lip slightly. There was no doubt in Akutagawa's mind that this girl had just witnessed him murder a man. Usually, it didn't matter if he had witnesses. He was already very wanted by the police, anyway. But for some reason, the fact that this particular girl saw him in the act mattered. He knew the reason why, but he didn't want to admit it to himself.

Their stares were locked for what seemed like an eternity. While holding this eye contact, the girl, very, very slowly, moved her hand to her pocket to fish out her phone. Her arm was quaking with fear, and she barely noticed the slight burning sensation on her wrist as she slowly moved her phone up to call the police.

Akutagawa's eyes flickered to the girl's hand, breaking their shared stare, before he swiftly walked across the street. As he did, the girl stopped moving so slowly and quickly tried to dial the police, but Akutagawa had made it to her before she could. He grabbed her wrist with his pale hand, and as he moved to take her phone from her hand, she started to shake much more violently out of fear and terror. Though, his fingers stopped before he even grazed her phone, his eyes fixated on the mark that was on the girl's wrist. A crescent moon that radiated heat. Only then did he notice that that burning feeling on his own wrist had become a bit more intense.

The girl's breathing had become shallow, quick, and uneven as she watched the man who held her wrist. Through her terror, she was curious as to why he was so intrigued by her soulmate marking, as her adrenaline made the burning feeling at her wrist basically numb, as if it weren't there at all. The two were silent for a while, but eventually Akutagawa's hand finally took the phone from the girl.

"You dropped something." He said quietly in his hoarse voice as he released her wrist, holding her phone at his side.

Her [eye colour] eyes glanced down at her fallen bag. Despite the fact that the man had let go of her, she made no move to run away for fear that he would kill her just as easily as he did that man. "I-It doesn't matter..." She mumbled in a shaky voice. Akutagawa then found himself bending over a bit, picking up the few items that had left the bag and returning them to their place before setting the bag upright.

"Calling the police won't do you any good. I advise that you don't." He said as he returned to his original position. She nodded slowly at that, starting to calm down a bit as it seemed that this man wouldn't try to kill her. "Good." Akutagawa then held up her phone, which allowed the mark on his wrist to be visible. Her eyes subconsciously caught the mark out of her peripheral vision as she reached out to take her phone.

"Th-Thank you..." She said quietly, her voice more stable now, but still a bit shaky. Once she had her phone back, Akutagawa lifted his hand to cover his mouth while he turned and started walking away, coughing as he left the girl.

She let out a shaky breath of relief as he walked away, and it was only when Akutagawa was at the end of the block did she feel that burning feeling on her wrist. Her other hand went to touch the mark. It was hot to the touch, but as Akutagawa disappeared from sight, the mark went cold. Her eyes quickly went back to look at where the man had been just second before he turned the block as she realised the now seemingly obvious.

She had just witnessed her soulmate commit murder.

I'm sorry if this isn't to your liking ~_~