{Soulmate AU} Soulmates Aren't a Requirement // Kunikida x Reader (angst?)

Requested by Yannchoo

[s/o] :  significant other
In which soulmates share emotions. Whichever of the pair is feeling a stronger emotion, they will automatically share that feeling with their soulmate.

It was ironic, really.

"You... you have an ability?" He asked the crying girl before him as he kneeled down. She was sitting on the ground in an alleyway, back up against the wall of a building as she tried fruitlessly to stop her tears.

"It's an empathic ability..." She muttered. "I can feel the emotions that a person chooses to hide when I make skin contact and activate my ability." She explained briefly. "I-I'm sorry that I let him get away, but... I-I just... S-Sometimes I don't mean to activate my ability, it goes off on its own... he was just... he was so..."

"It's okay, you don't need to explain yourself." He said as he stood back up with a soft sigh. "I understand. Besides, despite him being an ability user, he was just a low level thief. We'll find him again soon enough."

"...Are you sure?" She asked slowly. It was a bit out of character for him to say things like that.

The man nodded. "Yes. I'm sure." He said, holding a hand out for the girl to grab as he held his trusty Ideal notebook in the other. "Let's go back to the Agency, now."

The girl looked up at him through teary eyes for a moment before she nodded, grabbing his hand and using the help to stand up. "Alright,"

An empath, in this world.
A world where soulmates share emotions.

Everyone new of soulmates and how to tell that someone was yours. Not everyone believed in it, and, out of everyone who did believe, not everyone believed that you needed to end up with your soulmate in order to be happy.

Soulmates, in this world, unlike all the stories and myths, were not a requirement.

The chances that you would ever meet your soulmate were slim, and the chances that you would even be able to tell if someone was your soulmate were even slimmer. But he was sure, absolutely certain, that she was his.

"Woah~ Nice gloves, [name]-chan!" Dazai complimented with a smile as he noticed the new leather gloves his coworker had on her hands. "Where'd you get them?"

"[s/o] got them for me." [name] said as she returned Dazai's smile. "They are nice, huh?"

Kunikida observed the interaction out of the corner of his eye while he finished up some paperwork. [name] started wearing gloves a few years ago to prevent her ability from causing trouble for herself or those around her.

But that didn't stop her ability from working. Part of her ability was that all of her emotions were enhanced. She felt everything very strongly, no matter what (lucky for everyone that she was a happy, good natured person). That is why Kunikida was absolutely sure that [name] was his soulmate.

He felt her emotions, which were always stronger than his by a long shot. Usually it was happiness, but sometimes it was something else, and the negativity would crash down on him like a tsunami.

He started suspecting that [name] was his soulmate years ago, when he found out about her ability. When [name] accidentally felt the emotions of the thief she and Kunikida were chasing, the blonde could feel those emotions, too, albeit weaker than she was feeling them.

Kunikida was sure that [name] was his soulmate.

"They look really nice on you, [name]-san." Atsushi came over and smiled nicely at his superior. "But also kind of expensive."

"Oh, yeah," [name]'s cheeks bloomed pink as she rubbed the back of her neck. Kunikida felt a little flustered and embarrassed. "[s/o] likes to spoil me... as they like to put it, anyway. But I'm counting it as an early birthday gift." She chuckled lightly.

"Ahh, I say let them spoil you as much as they want!~" Dazai said with a grin. "Think of all the good stuff you could get!"

[name] snickered and shook her head as she stood up from her desk. "You're right, I could get a lot of good stuff, but that's not what I'm interested in. I like [s/o] for [s/o], not the stuff they get me. Anyway, speaking of which, I'm going to clock out for the day."

"Hot date?" The brown haired detective asked in a slight teasing manner.

"Of course." She replied with a smirk. "See you all tomorrow." [name] said to the office as she grabbed her coat and headed to the door.

"Goodbye, [name]." Kunikida said in his usual way as he continued to work on his paperwork.

It was ironic, really.

His soulmate was an empath that could feel the emotions that one chooses to hide away.

But she wore gloves, now, and would never feel what he was hiding.

"Don't be late again tomorrow." The blonde said when she reached the door.

[name] grinned. "I won't be, I promise!" She said to him before she promptly left the office.

Kunikida was certain that [full name] was his soulmate. She was happy with someone else, though, and he felt that happiness all the time. However, he still felt those feelings he kept hidden, deep down.

But, as he reminded himself often, soulmates are not a requirement.