II

tj collins is starting his junior year of college at NYU. he's majoring in liberal arts and sciences, which he loves. he previously lived at lafayette hall, but he decided it would be better for him financially (and mentally) to move into his own space.

he's feeling content with himself and school, but some part of him is... lost. maybe it's the loss of adolescence, with his 21st birthday creeping up next month.

the vibration of his phone wakes him up.

he yawns, and grabs the phone off the nightstand. 10:53 a.m. it's a text from his dad which reads, "up for lunch today, bout 11:45?"

tj's dad, mike, left when he was only five, yet tried to periodically waltz back into his life after he turned nine. ever since, they've had a complicated relationship.

tj replies, "sure. lizzie's café?"

mike types back "yes," as expected. tj gets ready to shower, peeling off the two band-aids covering his cut elbow. he fell on a rock, super attractive. he hops in the shower, readying himself to leave.

at 11:42, tj arrives at lizzie's. kinda hard to be late to a café right across from his building.

he orders a small black coffee and takes a seat toward the back of the café at a table.

the clock suddenly reads 11:58, then suddenly it's 12:09. he's long finished his drink, and is just moments away from leaving when mike enters, spotting him immediately.

mike walks over and takes a seat, doesn't even bother ordering anything. "always hated new york traffic," he says.

fair enough excuse, but c'mon.

"you could've texted if you were running late," tj says, unamused.

a slightly frustrated look appears on mike's face, which brushes itself away. ignoring, he asks, "how's the new place? what's the rent like? have you talked to garrett lately?"

garrett is tj's older brother; five years older. when mike first came back, garrett was 14, and more forgiving than tj, so garret and mike have always had a closer relationship.

"we talked a month or so ago."

mike's eyebrows subtly raise, "wish you guys would talk more."

"there's not much to talk about." tj begins, "i'm good, he's good. that's really it."

"he's great. he's married, running a successful start-up, talking about kids..." mike trails, "you ever wish you were more like that?"

tj's grip on his cup tightens, creasing the sides.

"no, not really. is this some sort of competition?"

they stare at each other, and a painfully awkward silence falls over the table.

"i never said that. i just meant..." he pauses, "ya'know... looking for love, thinking about your life a little more."