{Chapter 19}

Scrubbing the walls of a dirty palace in the rain isn't exactly fun. Moreover if the walls are coated thick with a hundred layers of accumulating grime and you are numb, chilled to the bone from the cold.

"This palace looks like it hasn't been cleaned in a decade!," Mia grumbled, trying to wipe off a stubborn patch of grime."Pointless it is!".

"Sometime around 13 years to be exact. At least the guards are keeping us fit and healthy by making us do physical exercise everyday, who cares? They'll die of heart disease. We won't," Kira said brightly, as she scrubbed off bird-waste and hummed softly as she worked.

Mia nodded and smiled, even though she admired Kira's positivity, she didn't exactly think that Kira was the image of good health.
"Yeah, aren't you cold by the way?," Mia shivered as a cold wind blew and the rain soaked her clothes.

"Nah, I'm an Icental remember? Anything icy or related to ice doesn't affect me and rain is water which is melted ice so you figure the rest out," Kira said cheerily,"it gives me strength!," Kira widened her arms as if absorbing the raindrops.

"Lucky you," Mia said miserably when a guard marched over to them. The same, smart one from yesterday.

"Boyfriend incoming!," Kira made smacking, lip sounds as Mia playfully slapped her with the cloth.

The guard stood between Mia and Kira." You two! You talk a lot! No work, just jabber, jabber, jabber!," he said, putting his hands on his hips.

"We're sorry," Mia said as she glared at Kira who widened her eyes and gave a thumbs-up to Mia." We'll work hard from now," Mia stifled a laugh as she saw Kira pretending to lick the guard.

"No! Enough now! I'll have to separate you two, " the guard said and grabbed Mia by the elbow and dragged her away from Kira as she stood there, sticking her tongue out.

"Let me go!," Mia struggled to loosen the harsh grip of the guard." Leave me!".

"Shh, come with me," the guard put a hand on Mia's mouth to stop her from screaming. Mia let out a muffled scream and squirmed and wriggled to set herself free as the guard heaved her towards the back of the palace. Mia's heart thudded loudly as the people disappeared from view.

He's gonna kill me now. I have to do something.

The rain had made her skin slick and so she used the opportunity and moved her hand forward quickly, this sudden movement surprised the guard and she managed to slip one of her hands away from the guards grasp.

"What the-," the guard started but Mia punched him on his face as hard as she could. The guard reeled back, letting Mia go, spitting curses as he pinched his bleeding nose. Mia's heart pounded in her chest and her breathing quickened as she made a run for it. It was difficult to run and see in the run, especially when you were bare-feet.

"Wait!," the guard screamed and ran after her, sharp stones spiked into Mia's soles but she kept on going. The guards boots thudded behind her.

Just a bit more distance and I'll be among people!

Mia ran faster, training her eyes on the corner which was her freedom, she'll turn and the people will be there to save her. Her eyes became blurry and she quickly blinked.

Almost there..

Mia focused and ran as hard as she could, blinking rapidly to clear her blurry eyes just as she reached the corner, her feet slipped on a smooth stone and she fell face-first into a puddle.

"No!," Mia shouted as the blanket of increasing rain descended upon her, she felt as if she was drowning as the guard caught up to her." Leave me alone!," Mia screamed,picking up a spiked stone to defend herself.