{Chapter 26}

Mia saw the last of the stars fade as the sky tinged a lovely mauve over a dappled rose as morning dawned. Birds sang everywhere as pretty, black flowers travelled on the wind.

"I have to get back to the orb, forward to my ti- what the hell?," Mia stopped dead in her tracks when she saw the grim atmosphere. As far as the eye could see, there were distraught people, weeping and sobbing everywhere, wearing dark funeral clothes as if mourning someone, they clutched each other for comfort as they walked with black flames in their hands

Mia slowly walked closer to the palace when once again she heard the beautiful voice of the woman singing in the street, calling out to her, luring her. Entranced, Mia followed her voice to the couple on the street- surrounded by a dark crowd- and slipped among them.

The woman sang softly, her voice low and laced with sorrow, a macabre edge to her words. The song she sung was hauntingly beautiful, Mia shuddered just listening to her voice and the haunting melody of the violin.

"Oh woe, hear the beat of the angels wings
let the skies weep and the clouds rain
Oh woe as the lonely nightingale sadly sings
For the lost princess we'll never see again"

The woman sobs as the crowd joins in. Mia shook her head in confusion and moved on.

"Let it rain! Let it rain on all of us so that our tears merge with the rippling oceans! Let it rain! So that it might drown this eternal pain," the singing woman shrieked as a few people raised their arms to the sky in unison.

Mia went closer to the palace as dark clouds shrouded the sky, the wind stopped abruptly as the haunting sounds of lone crying echoed everywhere. The palace stood gloomy and dark, caste in shadows, as Mia neared it she saw huge banners and posters with the picture of her as a baby.

Rest in peace beloved princess.

Read the poster and many people lit black flames under the picture and left gifts and flowers. Tears spiked Mia's eyes as she took in the depressing atmosphere, she was heartbroken at the way the people mourned for her. Mourned for someone who was still alive.

Mia walked in the palace and went up to her nursery. The door of the nursery was painted black and a sign hung on it that read:

Do not enter.

Mia pushed open the door and went inside. The nursery was almost sark void for the gray light that fought with the drawn drapes to enter the room and the handful of flames lit in certain corners. The furniture was covered in white sheets and all her toys were gone.

Mia walked forward and saw her mother sitting beside her cradle, clutching a furry, pink blanket to her chest and crying into it, softly repeating the same lullaby.

Mia opened it and tears sprung out of her eyes as she saw the sealed windows and all the toys and furniture covered in white sheets, the cradle was stripped bare of its silk sheets and candles shone from every corner, she saw her mother clutching her pink blanket and sobbing into it, repeating the same lullaby softly.

Mia felt tears run down her cheeks as she neared her mother.

"Mum," Mia swallowed, trying to remove the lump in her throat," I'm right here," Mia put a hand on her mother's shoulder, she felt her mother stiffen as the candles flickered in the room, their flames dancing eerily. "Mum?," Mia cried, hoping that her mother would turn and wrap her in a loving hug.

Her mother turned but not to her, she faced the door as it opened and Miranda entered, her eyes wet.

"Your highness. All I want to ask is how?," she sobbed as the Queen stroked the blanket and stayed silent for a while.