{Chapter 29}

The creaking sound echoed all over the silent palace as Mia pushed the door open. It was a big but incredibly dusty room. She walked inside and she saw another portrait of her family hung on the wall. She squinted to read the plaque fixed underneath it.

King Desmond Alastar Salvador Louise Romano

Queen Cecelia Salvador Louise Romano the III

Baby Princess Mignolia Louise Romano the II.

"Mignolia? What sort of name is that?," Mia wondered at the strangeness of her own name. It struck odd that she didn't even know the name of her parents until now.

"Please we don't want anything. Just leave us alone," a weak voice interrupted Mia's thoughts as she followed it.

In the farthest corner of the room, was a luxurious bed and on it lay a pale and weak woman motionlessly, her eyes closed, breathing faintly. A chair was propped to the woman's side and on it sat a hunched figure, clutching the woman's hand. His back towards Mia.

Mia's footsteps reverberated around as she neared the bed, her hands shaking.

"Just go already!", the man whispered," just go," he shook his head and buried them in his hands.

"Dad?", Mia whispered softly as she approached him. The figure straightened immediately." Dad", Mia repeated, it felt wonderful to call that to someone who was really related to her. The man ran a hand through his hair before lowering his head again.

Mia came closer. The man had a powdery white beard and salt and pepper hair, large shadows masked his red and swollen eyes and wrinkles engraved his forehead. He clutched the woman's hand  tightly and kissed her fingers gently.

"You're not going mad Dad. It's me," Mia hesitated, not knowing what to do to convince them. The man- Desmond- stood up and turned towards her, he started to say something but stopped as he gazed at Mia.

A warm feeling coursed through her as Desmond observed her before rubbing a hand over his face." Wh-who are you?," he asked.

"It's Mia. Your daughter. I'm alive Dad".

"Mia?", he said softly, knitting his brows together when anger filled his eyes,"If this is a prank. I swear I'm going to-!", Desmond started but stopped when he saw Mia back away, fear masking her face.

"Dad, It's really me," Mia whispered, frightened of him." The Sangfwads lied Dad".

Mia tensed as Desmond neared her but urged herself to continue.

"I'm really alive. I came all the way here for you. Au-aunt Ruby told me every- everything and I somehow came to the Elemental World. Dad believe me," Mia muttered on as Desmond came forward, blood in his eyes.

Mia backed away," I'm not joking. I swear! The Sangfwads treated me so badly an-and they lied- they lied about everything but Mum-" Mia stopped burbling as her back touched the wall. Her father towered before her. Mia closed her eyes and a tear slipped down her cheek as he reached forward, she braced herself for the pain of the slap but it never came.

Instead her father yanked her sleeve off her shoulder and when he saw the royal birthmark, he sighed in relief and smiled at Mia before dissolving into tears.

"Oh Mia, Mia, Mia, Mia. My lovely daughter!", Desmond cried happily as he wrapped his strong arms around Mia and scooped her up." My sweet sweet Mia," he cried into her shoulder and laughed at the same time as she held her in his embrace.

Mia felt tears of joy slip down her cheeks as she burrowed herself into the warm, protective scent of her father." Oh my little baby, I'm so sorry, so sorry".