Chapter 23: I'm neither classy nor rugged, but thanks.

<<<
(DAY 394) I think it's obvious by now that I'm not trying to write often. I only check up every couple months to make sure I don't completely forget about the book. I'm running low on pages, too, so I stopped doing a daily thing. I just want to clarify that we're all still alive. I also figured I should update my list of people that are part of my life. You know, the one from Day 139.

These are the ones I have yet to reunite with:
Merle Dixon
Andrea
Michelle August
Chad August
Devon Garner

These are the Woodbury friends:
Phillip Blake
Caesar Martinez
Titus Olsen
Hannah Olsen
Conner Olsen
Karen
Shumpert
Paul
Milton Mamet
Dr. Stevens

There's still the woman with the sword from day 11, too, but I also want to list all my new group members.

Rick Grimes
Lori Grimes (and baby)
Carl Grimes
Hershel Greene
Beth Greene
Maggie Greene
Glenn Rhee
Theodore Douglas
Carol Peletier
Daryl Dixon
Cory Jenner

That's all I have for this entry, just another list of names.

Signing out,
Cory Jenner
<<<

When I woke in the morning, I was very confused to see both a familiar and unfamiliar ceiling above me. Almost automatically, I surveyed of surroundings, recalling that yesterday, I had made my great return to Woodbury and was now stuck here. I sighed, trying to convince myself to get up. I was tired as hell, considering yesterday had also been the same day that Carol and I were stuck in the closet, rescued by Daryl, and everything that had followed. Yesterday had been a long ass day.

I forced the blanket off of me, looking around the room. Phillip was gone, or at least out of the room. Beside me, though, was a black dress with a note on top of it. I picked up the note first, reading over it.

I'm leaving soon, so come find me if you're up by 10. Andrea dropped off this dress for you.

-Phillip

I set the note on the nightstand and studied the dress, turning it in my hands to see if it would fit. It seemed like it would, so I quickly changed into it, wondering what I was supposed to meet Phillip for. The dress fit me nicely, but the pair of heels she had also left behind didn't seem like a good idea. I didn't even try them on, knowing it was pointless. I hadn't worn a pair of heels in my life.

After finding black sandals in the closet that would match the dress, I slipped them on and walked to the bathroom. Seeing myself in the mirror was almost shocking. My recently-washed hair and clean skin were a nice surprise, but there was something in my own face that seemed different. I almost felt like I was the same person from before I left, the one this town believed they knew. I felt like the girl Phillip fell in love with, someone completely different compared to who I actually was. I could just... see this look in my eye, something different and almost scarily normal and familiar. It wasn't me I was looking at, but it was something I used to be.

I dug under the sink through all of my old junk. Again, none of it had appeared to be touched or moved in the littlest bit since I was here. It wasn't so unexpected. I didn't expect Phillip to go through my clothes or mess with my hair tools and makeup, but I didn't expect it all to be in the house after almost nine months. I knew that he hadn't moved on, that he was still looking for me after all this time and still felt the complete same about me, but I was weird. It was unsettling. I shouldn't have come back here and have been able to just jump back into my old life like nothing had changed. I was gone for months, but the only thing that seemed to change around here was Phillip's sanity.