Chapter 78: I have eyes, Dixon.

<<<
(DAY 186) I found a place. I've been walking since I left other than sleeping at night, so I made some distance. Along the way, I found a baseball bat, and also a guitar so I'd have something to do, and I finally found somewhere I could stop. There's this placed called the 'CDC', which, in case you didn't know, stands for 'Center for Disease Control and Prevention'. I heard someone talking at Woodbury about this place before, saying that they thought the CDC could have an answer about what the hell is happening and all about this fucking virus, so I want to stay here and try to get in. I mean, I did try already, but there's a problem.

So there are these doors all over the building but they're all locked and extremely unpenetrable. I can't stand out in the courtyard too long because these biters keep closing in on me while I'm trying to get in, so I hopped into this truck sitting in the grass a good bit away. I'm able to lock it so I'll be safe, so I can try again in the morning. I think I saw one of the security cameras moving, so I'm going to try to talk to it and see if the people will let me in. Til then, I'm going to get some real sleep.

Signing out,
Corynn Elaine August (Jenner)
<<<

My head was in my heads, my elbows glued to my thighs while I slumped on the couch the same way everyone in town wanted to be. There wasn't a single word in the dictionary to described the fatigue we felt. It was far past exhaustion. We could barely keep ourselves awake and that was more dangerous than ever these past few days.

We had been hit with group after group of walkers at our walls. It wasn't just a couple of them, either. Hundreds would show up every few hours, so often to the point where Eugene had detected a pattern. We didn't have long before the next herd, not enough time to sleep and restore ourselves before we had to go back out and fight. The majority of our people were cleaning up in-between waves, removing corpses and sharpening tools. I had been in every single group that was fighting, and I was near the point of collapsing.

I knew what was likely happening. This had to be Alpha's doing. If not a punishment for us walking into her land, she was finally choosing to attack. There was no way walkers were suddenly showing up in our area in groups at specific times. It was all too suspicious and perfected to be a coincidence. Still, I didn't want to accuse them and be wrong about it. We couldn't start a war until we knew for sure.

A set of heavy footsteps hit my porch before my front door swung open. I barely lifted my head to look, finding Clark stood in my doorway with urgency written on his otherwise blank face. I rubbed my eyes, trying to get them to focus.

"Come to the wall."

I had expected him to tell me the next wave of walkers had arrived earlier than expected, but his real news only concerned me more. I jumped off the couch with energy that came from nowhere and I followed him back outside, finding a figure emerged from the woods and standing in front of the spiked fence we had created in the midst of the walker herds.

Eventually, once I pushed through and joined Michonne and Daryl, I found out what was going on. A person in a skin mask, a woman upon closer inspection, stood there in an oddly calm manner. She was bold to come here after everything, to cross into our land after Alpha set a border that was so important it was likely going to end in bloodshed. It even seemed she had been waiting for me.

"The north border," she barked once she saw me. "Now."

I rolled my eyes. "Tell the bald lady to stop the attacks."

"Not us," the woman declared. I pinched the bridge of my nose, too tired to deal with denial on something so clearly obvious.

"There's no point in trying to lie-"