Chapter 3

Zaria's POV

Immediately we got out of the class, Lyla attacked me.

"What the fuck was all that about?!" She snapped. She was ten months older than I was and sometimes exercised that power.

In an effort to justify myself, I answered coolly, "I just decided to give him a piece of my mind that's all."

"Zee, he is a new student for God's sake! Give him a breathing space, In fact what did he even do to warrant such attitude from you?" She asked me.

"He told the whole class that he is way better than me at everything." I blurted. Lyla stopped abruptly and stared at me like I had grown horns on my head.

"He didn't even know you before now, Zee! How come he suddenly told the whole class that he was better than you? What exactly did he say? Truth, now!" She yelled and snapped her fingers, warning me to start talking.

"He didn't exactly say it that way. He said he has been a straight-A student since he started school and he hopes to continue that trend here!" I yelled back at her.

She just raised her brows. "And so? What Is bad about that?" She asked.

"Lyla, I have always been the best student. I am definitely not ready to give that up now, not for anyone." I said as a matter-of-factly.

"Do you have an idea how conceited you sound like right now? There is always room for everyone to be the best. You can't be the only one taking all the credit every time you know." She said but I really wasn't listening.

This conversation had occurred severally and I knew exactly what she was going to say. My mind was already made up; I had aiming towards being the valedictorian of my set, I was not planning to lose that now or even share the spot with anyone.

"I don't want to talk about this, let's just go and eat abeg. Ebi n pa mi (I am hungry)." I told her, changing the topic entirely. Lyla sighed in frustration, but followed me anyway.

The frown on her face made me chuckle, her chubby cheeks made her funnier than angry. I wondered how we had managed to put up with each other for almost ten years.

☆☆☆☆

Joel's POV

What an attitude! I thought as I made my way to the tuck shop to get a snack.

I couldn't stop thinking about the exchange between Zaria and I. How selfish can a person be? All because her record had never been beaten.

I didn’t have a problem with her though. Like I had told her earlier; she just landed herself in a huge competition. It was honestly the most stupid rivalry I had ever had with someone, it seemed like our dear Zaria couldn’t handle change. She needs to learn that she can't always get what she wants.

I saw Charles from afar, talking to a group of boys. I walked up to them with my snacks in my hand.

"Charles, thanks for disappearing on me." I scowled at him.

"Sorry man, it won’t happen again." Charles replied and patted my back.

"Oh, this is the new dude. Joel, right? Nice to meet you buddy, I'm Tyler." One of the guys stretched his hand to give me a shake. I smiled as I took it.

"Nice to meet you, Tyler." I said.

"Omo, na your accent o. (Your accent is too dope.)" One of the guys said.

"Bro, it's not my fault na. You fit hear me sha, that one is the koko (At least you can hear me, that's the most important thing)" I said in broken English, it sounded weird with my accent.