Chapter 10

I'm not really hungry for breakfast, so I just take an apple and tell my three friends that I was requested in Mr. X's office and to go ahead to training without me. I head off to the hallway and go against the thin flow of sleepy kids on their way to the cafeteria. 

I get to the main office by memory of the similar hallways, and walk in. It's the same girl behind the desk today that was there when I first came a few days ago. She sees me and smiles. "Good morning Miss Zoey. Mr. X mentioned you'd be here this morning, but he wasn't expecting you so early. He's in a meeting right now, but it'll only be a few more minutes." She gestures to the chairs beside his office, "You are more than welcome to wait."

I nod my head and I walk to the chairs. I sit in the chair I sat in the first time I came here. Muffled yells come from Mr. X's office, but I try to pretend I don't hear them. I probably should have waited, but like the idiot I am I rushed my timing. Great.

The yelling escalates and I hear Mr. X say, "She's not ready for that!"

"When will she be then? It's time she knows who she really is. Why she can do the things she does. How her mother really died."

"Enough. Vision never wanted that for her."

"Well Vision isn't really here to object," the second man's voice sounds bitter. 

Mr. X pauses before saying, "You don't have the authority to speak for Vision."

"Neither do you."

Mr. X doesn't respond.

"I'm done with this conversation." Heavy footsteps lead to the closed door, "I'm tried of trying to connect with her, and I'm tired of you stoping me. John has already killed one person I loved, and I'm not going to let him kill another."

The door opens and my eyes fall to the ground. The man walks past me and stops at the end of the hall. I look up as Mr. X walks out of his doorway. The man is wearing a dark blue hoodie and worn out jeans. His cargo boots look like they've been in deep mud lately. 

"Get up Zoey," Mr. X whispers. I do so and he gently pushes me into his office. I look back at the guy just before he disappears behind the wall and I see he's turned his head to the side to look back at us. 

He has a strong looking jaw, and thick eyebrows. His eyes are a dark gray and look like they have the sight of pain. With his hood on I can't see his short hair, but I think it's blond. 

Mr. X shuts the door and looks at me irritated, "You weren't supposed to come until after breakfast."

"I'm sorry I was nervous and I figured that if I came earlier then I might be able to get to practice on time—" I shake my head, "Sorry there's no excuse. I'll come on time from now on, I'm sorry."

Mr. X sighs, "I'm guessing you heard most of that conversation?"

"A little bit."

"You're wondering who that was?"

"He knows about my mother."

"He knows more than just your mother."

"You say that like it's normal," I respond carefully. "Who was that guy?"

"Well he should, that was your uncle."

"What?" I look up confused. My mother didn't have a brother, so does that mean my father's brother?

"It's time you learn about who your father is Zoey." Mr. X sits down and motions his hand to the guest chair. I sit down carefully. "Your father was originally from the Raven's compound. His ability was also that of a rare one. He could move like he had no weight. His agility and strength ruled over all others like him. He was a Raven assassin."