Chapter 27

"Zoe!" Trish shouts. She shakes me awake. I groan and pull the blanket over my face but she rips it away. I open my eyes and right away feel the soreness from my temple. I forgot how bruises felt. I meet eyes with Trish, who's standing at my bedside. She looks angry and worried. "What happened to your face?"

I reach my hand up to feel the bump on my left temple. "Oh," I can't tell her about Ulrich, "I hit my head on the bathroom counter last night," I lie. "I wasn't feeling to well and I just slipped." I'm so used to lying about beatings, it's still second nature for me. 

"Zoe," Trish kneels beside me, "Please don't lie to me," I can sense her tempered sadness, "That's a fist mark." She stands, "I would know. I've given enough of them to know what they look like."

I sit up, trying my best not to grimace from the pain in my torso, "Okay, yeah. I got punched."

"By who?" Trish is really angry.

"Trish please. It was totally justified—"

"Zoe! How can punching you ever be justified?"

Ask John. "He was just trying to get back at me because—"

"He?" Her eyes brighten, "Ulrich?"

I open my mouth but nothing comes out.

Trish turns to the door, already dressed. I just notice, man I need to get it together. I get out of my bed and try to go after her but I feel pain erupt in my side and I fall to the floor. Trish slams the door and I sigh. This isn't going to end well.

I grab my flats I threw on the floor last night and put them on. I get up from the ground and get to the door. I walk out, trying my best to ignore my torso's pain. I lean lightly on the wall and walk as fast as I can to the cafeteria. I'm guessing that's probably where Trish went. I reach the hallway just as Shawn and Beast appear to run into the cafeteria. They don't see me, they're focused on something else. Great.

I get in and hear the commotion. I locate a small crowd. In the center is Trish and Ulrich. "Zoe!" Beast runs up to me and I turn my head. He winces at the sight of my temple, "Dang, what—" His eyes drift to Trish, "Oh..." I feel anger coming from him too, but not enough to act out. He's sensible. 

We hear Trish yelling and Beast runs to the crowd, followed by Shawn. He's always right by Beast. Or I guess he could be going to Trish. I don't really know. My side really hurts.

I start my walk over there. Already I see Beast is backing Trish up away from Ulrich. He's on the floor, with an angry expression. "How dare you attack me!" he shouts at Trish.

"How dare I?" Trish asks incredulously, "How dare you! You could have seriously injured her! If you think I'm going to just sit there while you beat my friend, then you have no clue who I am!"

By now Flame and Bruce are in the circle, trying to control the situation. "What the hell is going on!" Flame shouts.

"She just attacked me!" now standing with his team, Ulrich points an accusing finger at Trish.

"Trish?" Flame turns to my three group members.

"He's the one that threw the first fist."

"What are you talking about?"

"I'm talking about when you hit Zoe last night!" Trish shouts. She takes a step forward, but Beast stops her.

"You have no proof!" Ulrich counters.

Trish responds quickly, "Why don't you go look at Zoe's face then? You tell me where that bruise came from."

"Quiet!" Flame says. He sighs, and spots me in the crowd. "Zoe, get over here." I freeze, and catch Ulrich's pleased smile. "Now, Zoey." I start to move, but pain floods my torso. I wince a little, and start to walk to Flame. I get to the center, and feel nerves bouncing off myself. I hate being the center of attention, literally. Flame lifts my chin and turns my head gently to see the fist bruise. "That's definitely a punch," he confirms backing away to Bruce and Ulrich.