I'll Be Watching You...pt7

Nadia's point of view

Lightning flashed and dark clouds rolled in closer,covering the city with darkness.

I looked at my watch,it was a quarter to 9.

I started walking and had barely reached the end of the block when it started raining cats and dogs.I started walking even faster as

running was out of the question in my inappropriately high heels.

The air was moist and quiet.The busy streets were not jam packed with cars and pedestrians as they usually were.I picked up my pace

once again and continued for home.Footsteps echoed in the distance,I paused.They stopped a second too late.

I turned to look over my shoulder but there was no one behind me.

Ofcourse it was hard to be certain what with the complete darkness.

I took a deep breath and continued walking.For a while there was only the noise of my heels clicking on the asphalt.

Rain pelted heavily,soaking me in my short dress and overcoat.

I took refuge under the sign of a closed shop.The bent sign board provided me shade from the cool water drops that fell noisily on the ground.Few minutes lapsed before the clouds took a breather and stopped pouring.

I took the opportunity to advance further, hoping the rain wouldn't start again till I reached the haven of my home.

I crossed the street, glancing back.Still no sign of another life, I noted with relief and trekked further.

Splash!

Someone crossed a puddle of water noisily alerting me of his presence.I spun around sharply, distinguishing a dark figure duck behind a dumpster.

It was no mystery, the man was following me.I had to shake him off of my tail.

I glanced at an alley further ahead which was obscured behind the garbage truck.I quickly went past it, skipped onto the path infront of it and ducked stealthily into the alley.

I tried desperately to stop myself from breathing as I pressed my back flat against the dirty old-city wall, trying to melt into the shadows, terrified of the chase.For the moment I was out of sight, almost invisible; but not safe, not yet.I knew that I had to gain composure quickly, my panicked breaths would hang like Indian smoke signals on the frosty night's air, they would drift out onto the street,alert the man to my whereabouts and blow my cover.

I held hard onto the cool brick wall, keeping still, but I had been running for the first time in a long time and the urge to pant heavily overwhelmed me.I attempted to suck in the frosty air around me, to fill up with the cold and extinguish the fires that were burning within that heaving chest of mine.I was thirsty, the need for water was clouding my mind.

I instinctively inhaled one last lungful of the night and held it in for a second before letting it back out slowly, watching the vapour escape from my pursed lips like steam from a leaking pipe.

My heart was racing.

I dared to peek out, to take a quick look around the corner onto the street, allowing only minimal exposure as I did so and there I saw him.

The man whom I had spotted a while back.

He stood under the pale sickly light of the street lamp, his face obscured conveniently.

He looked around,appearing confused, lost and perhaps even a little frightened himself as he stood there, alone and unsure. He didn't know where I had gone, not yet anyway. But he had done it before, and it won't take him long to figure it out, it never did.