Morning

Author's POV:

Went out one night to make a little round I met Little Sadie and I shot her down. Went back home, jumped into bed, 44 pistol under my head.

The song played through her head over and over. Occasionally, Y/n would wake from her deep slumber whilst humming the catchy tune. She pushed herself up by her red elbows, wiping the crusty sleep that sat wedged in the corners of her eyes. The digital clock that rested on the drawer in the corner displayed exactly 6AM. In another hour, everyone would be in the mess hall eating breakfast. Y/n began to get dressed sluggishly, her droopy eyes tugging at her dark eyelids. She slipped on her once white canvas shoes and zipped up her burgundy jacket, running a free hand through her messy hair. Y/n trudged over to the mirror slowly and picked up a bobble, beginning to tie back her hair and let her bangs hang from each side of her face. She couldn't remember the last time she had a shower. Months? Years? Who knew anyways.

Y/n exited her room quietly, closing the door behind her slowly. The halls were completely silent. Either some were cooking breakfast for everyone in the kitchen or outside inhaling the fresh air. Or a few more still dreaming in their beds dumbly.

She walked with her hands in her pockets silently, enjoying the peace as she dragged her feet across the creaky, wooden floor boards. Her long bangs swayed from side to side by the slightest as she continued to walk, keeping her head down. The door to her left slowly opened, making Y/n stop in her tracks and lift up her head in alert.

Her eyebrows furrowed to see her close friend, Jesse, step out of his own room. Y/n turned her body towards him and smiled gently, "Good morning." Jesse looked up towards Y/n, flashing the slightest smile, "Hey there shorty. Up early again, I see?" They both began walking down the hall together, striking up a conversation, "Oh hush, I just usually don't leave my room until 7AM. Figured why not go now, get some fresh air before breakfast." Jesse shrugged, stuffing his hands into the pockets of his worn jeans, "So, you excited for the dance tomorrow night?" Y/n scoffed in disbelief, shaking her head whilst letting out a snort of laughter, "Hah! You kidding? Hate those things. I just turn up so that people think I'm not a miserable piece of shit sat in my room constantly." Jesse glanced down at Y/n, raising an eyebrow whilst pulling a face, "Come on. It's basically been the end of humanity for years now, why not enjoy yourself?"

The h/c haired female rolled her eyes, rubbing the back of her tensed neck, "Yeah yeah. You know I don't have many friends here. You, Joel and Dina are the only close ones to me. Everyone else I shut out, it's better this way." Y/n mumbled the last part, only loud enough for Jesse to hear. The man pressed his lips together in an irritated manor, "Y/n. I'd prefer it if you'd let me introduce you to some people, you can't stay like this forever. You've been in this camp for years now and you still barely know anyone accept for three people." Y/n ignored him, her eyes focusing forwards.

The door to outside came into view as she walked ahead, pushing open both door and immediately inhaling the cold air of the crisp morning. The cold hit the back of her throat and traveled down into her lungs like a sharp dagger. Y/n felt refreshed. Every morning she would step outside and inhale the freezing cold air. There were no more factories around to let out the horrific air pollution and ruin the freshness.

She lowered her head and exhaled softly, resting her fists onto her hips and shutting her eyes. The doors behind her opened once more. More people began to wake up now, it was around that time anyways.

Jesse folded his arms and stared at Y/n through the glass window, his eyes completely glued to her back. He nodded slowly and carried on walking down the hall without her, his shoes scuffing themselves against the ground every now and then.

Y/n began to stroll along the perimeter slowly, inhaling the fresh air in bliss. She dragged herself over to the nearest bench, parking herself onto the wooden surface and resting her head against the brick wall behind her. She folded her arms and slouched down in her seat, mumbling beneath her morning breath, "44 pistol under my head.." The words left her mouth quietly, humming the rest of the song to herself, tapping her foot against the concrete ground. Her eyes stayed shut as she relaxed herself, un-tensing her muscles.

The morning sun hung over her lazily, barely causing any heat towards her since it was slowly coming into winter time. Y/n opened her eyes by the slightest and gazed off into the distance, infected were dawdling about outside the gates, some were even feasting on each other.

Y/n frowned darkly, sitting forwards and resting her elbows onto her knees. She stared at the horde of them there. They'd have to be shot down soon before someone makes a wrong slip up and ends up like them. It's too risky anymore, even with guards about.

"You're an early bird." That deep but thick southern accent spoke.

Joel took a seat next to Y/n, leaning forwards and taking the same pose as Y/n, "What's got you up so early?" Y/n then sat back and folded her arms, staring at the ground, "Just wanted some fresh air I guess." She shrugged also, glancing over at Joel as he looked about cautiously, the wrinkles on his face stretching as he raised his eyebrows every now and then.

He lowered his head and let out a soft grunt, "Kids like you are normally sleepin' in this time." Y/n pouted and stared ahead, "Not me. I'm only 18 in case you forgot." She nudged the old fella and chuckled softly, resting her hands at the back of her head, "Ain't you cold?" Joel questioned her, blowing hot breath into his arms before rubbing them together. Y/n shook her head whilst shrugging, "Nah. I'm used to the cold. Before Jesse found me years ago, I was half naked in the snow. I thought I was gonna die that day. I'm lucky to be here. Now I'm facing the cold, still, it's beginning to not bother me."

Joel looked back at Y/n silently. Her eyes were shut and her head was leant back into her hands. The female seemed relaxed and peaceful for once. Joel looked down again and begin speaking, "So. You comin' to that dance tomorrow night?" Seconds passed before the old man received an answer, "Yeah. Jesse asked me before. He immediately started saying that I need to surround myself with friends. Knowing my luck, if I do that, I'll lose them within a short time." Y/n opened her eyes and let her arms slowly drop into her lap, "Well, kid he ain't wrong. I tried introdoucin' you to Ellie but you turned your back straight away. Give people a chance, kid." Y/n pressed her lips together whilst stuffing her hands into her pockets, remaining silent. The man spoke the truth all the time, he had more experience in life than Y/n herself.

Y/n shook her head, "Perhaps I'll mingle in the crowd tomorrow. Just a few people will do for me, I don't like surrounding myself with everyone possible."

Joel let out a soft grunt as he rose from the bench, "I'm gettin' old." Y/n giggled slowly, looking up at him with an innocent expression, "You comin' to eat?" Y/n rose from the bench and dusted herself off, "Yeah why not. I'm starving."