Rescue

Currently replaying part 2 whilst writing this❤️😌

"Y/n!"

Ellie's voice echoed out through the area. The snow storm seemed to be picking up quite a bit, it was just like last year.

"Y/n!!" She called out your name again and whisked her head round throughout the heavy snow that blew against her and Shimmer.

"Dammit where are you?"

She rode through the storm with her hood up. The wind pushed against her aggressively as she shivered, gripping onto the reigns of her beloved horse.

Ellie knew your patrol route quite well. Before you had started taking up patrols a couple years ago, Ellie had been doing the same one as you until she switched to Dina's route with her. She knew every building and whether or not they were accessible. However, in this storm, it was difficult to navigate her surroundings so easily.

Images of you laying hurt on the ground somewhere flashed through her already shrouded mind. The more time she spent looking for you, the more worry crept up inside her.

"Y/n!!"

You gasped awake suddenly, your eyes widening to the darkness around you.

"Ellie.."

Getting up from the hard ground, you pulled your backpack back onto your back and flicked on your flashlight.

"I gotta move."

You had no idea how long you were sleeping. It could've been hours or perhaps just half an hour.

At this point, you figured that the hole above you was the only way out. Perhaps moving something beneath it and pulling yourself up would be the best idea at this point. Running through spores would be stupid.

You ventured around the basement in search of something high enough to jump on. Eventually, you managed to find an old set of draws for clothes to be stored in, wrapped in plastic as if it was ready to go on sale. It had a lot of mold littered on the inside of it.

"Eesh, I hope this doesn't collapse in on me."

You inhaled and began pushing with effort, trying your best to not push the drawers over completely. The hole was only just one room over which was lucky enough for you.

"Here we go." You climbed on top of the drawers cautiously.

"Okay Y/n.. quiet now."

You stood shakily and gazed up at the hole above you. You could still hear the painful groans of runners and the distant croaks of the clickers in the depths of the large building.

You jumped with your arms up and grasped onto the ledge above you. The drawers below you slumped to the ground, leaving you with nothing to drop back down onto.

"Oh god, oh shit."

You swung your legs as the panic rose within your stomach. You pulled yourself up and crawled quickly into an isle with no infected. You panted heavily and whipped out your pistol, holding it tightly in your hands. Your eyes loomed up towards the windows upon a balcony with a door that lead to an office. The stairs below seemed to have broken off over time. Perhaps getting up there would mean you'd be safe from the infected until you could find a way out. There was no way you could take the infected out on your own, not even quietly.

"Okay.. nice and quiet."

You crouched down and made your way through the supermarket as quietly as you possibly could. You approached the stairs and gazed up at them, up close they seemed very rusted, there was a chance of you falling through them.

You climbed them as quietly as you could. Each step made an agonising creak. You came to the edge which required another jump to pull yourself up. You'd definitely be safe from the infected. The only problem was the jump, if the stair collapsed on you, there was a chance of a somewhat large injury.

Jumping up to the rusted stair, you grasped onto the edge of it and felt it slump downwards.

The pain that used to shoot up your arm made a return suddenly. You yelped and let go without thinking, plummeting downwards on top of an isle.

The shelf tilted and you rolled off of it, landing harshly onto your stomach. Infected throughout the supermarket shrieked and began sprinting towards your vulnerable position.

"NO!"

"Oh.. Kurtis." Ellie trotted up to your horse. She jumped off of Shimmer and approached Kurtis, holding her hood in hopes of it not going down.

"Hey boy, where's Y/n at?" Before she could do anything else, a loud scream followed by infected sounded inside of the building in front of her.

Ellie's blood ran cold. She wasted no time sprinting up to the doors in front of her.

"Y/n! Y/n hold on!"

Ellie wiggled her fingers between the opening of the doors and used all of her strength to pry the sliding doors open. Mind over matter. She yelled and pushed her way into the building, straight away seeing the group of infected make their way towards your location.

"Y/N!"

You lay dazed upon the dirty, cold, ground. Your head pounded as your whole body coursed with agony, "Ellie..?"

Ellie fought her way through the infected. A clicker had mounted itself onto you and continued to whack you over and over with it's bloody hands. You, on your back, flailed about and screamed out for Ellie as the deadly infected attempted to bite you but within seconds, Ellie was there to protect you.

She grabbed the clicker by its overgrown head and yanked it back off of your back. She plunged her sharp knife into its neck and twisted it round. It fell dead to the ground shortly after.

"Okay Y/n-"

Ellie was immediately cut off as a Runner had pushed her down and straddled her. She struggled with the recently infected human and attempted to grasp her pocket knife. It was whacked away by the Runner. Ellie wrested with him and placed her hands around its neck.

You watched whilst still lay on your stomach, the pain still making its way through your small body.

Getting up wearily, you reached for your pistol and shakily aimed towards the head of the infected. You closed one eye and inhaled deeply, slowly squeezing the trigger. The bullet collided with its already bleeding skull as it fell dead onto Ellie. Ellie huffed and threw the corpse off of herself.

She looked back at you and rushed beside you, "Y/n! Are you okay?"

You kept your pistol tightly in your shaky, weak, grasp and swallowed loudly.

"My.. my goddamn leg.. I think it's broken."

Ellie examined your poorly positioned leg behind you, "Shit.. I need to get you back to Jackson. Maybe I uh.. maybe I could go back and get help or.."

Your half lidded eyes looked towards Ellie's gloved hands. You noticed the fabric from her left hand glove was torn slightly. You reached out slowly and gently took her wrist, turning it slowly to inspect the rip closely.

Without even realising what caused the rip until the last second, Ellie gasped lightly as she noticed your once tired eyelids widen.

"Ellie.. you're bitten.."

Your body filled with shock, you couldn't even look Ellie in the eye anymore.

"Y/n.. I uh.. there's something I need to explain to you."