Guns Come With Friends

Author's POV:

"Keep it steady, focus on your aim..fire!"

Y/n pulled back the trigger, the lead bullet instantly colliding with the skull of a chained infected. Smoke heaved slowly from the barrel of the heavy weighted pistol. She lowered the weapon, obviously impressed with her aim.

"Hah! Nice shot, Y/n." Jesse nodded in an impressed manor, making his way over to the now deceased infected before them, "That's the fourth shot in a row which was perfect. Damn, this time you got the bastard right between the eyes." Y/n laughed out loud, waving around the pistol as she flaunted her cockiness.

A scuffed shoe against the concrete floor caught their attention. The recognisable female that strutted around the camp with her head held high approached them both.

Ellie Williams.

Y/n looked in her direction and swallowed nervously, Ellie was one of the more fierce woman in the whole of the camp, nobody at all messed with her. Although, she was rather soft spoken and kind to others around camp.

"Hey Jesse." She nodded towards him, a soft smile on her face. Y/n looked away, making sure that her bangs hid her face. She focused her gaze on the corpse metres away, ignoring Ellie.

Ellie looked towards Y/n, biting the inside of her cheek. She sighed gently and held out her hand, "Hey Y/n. It's nice to finally engage with you." Y/n moved her gaze towards Ellie in slight shock. She nervously reached out and shook her hand, a smile making it's way onto her face, "Hey Ellie. Same to you." They pulled their hands away from each other as Jesse stood next to them both, placing his hand on each of their shoulders, "Thanks for coming, Ellie. Y/n does need new friends." Y/n rolled her eyes and simply dusted Jesse's hand from her shoulder, "Oh shut up." She folded her arms and raised an eyebrow in amusement.

Ellie glanced over Y/n's shoulder to see the chained up infected that slumped dead against the floor, "Target practise?" She passed Y/n and examined the corpse, "Holy shit, right between the eyes. Y/n, did you do this?" Before Y/n could respond, Jesse replied for her, "Hell yeah she did. It's the fourth time in a row too." Jesse ruffled her hair and chuckled as she pushed away his hand away yet again, "Damn Y/n. That's extremely impressive. You gotta teach me."

Y/n giggled softly, moving one of her bangs behind her ear slowly, "There ain't much to teach, really. I just aim, hold it steady and fire." Ellie turned to Y/n with a soft smile, "I have no luck doing that." She flashed the slightest smile along with a blink of her white teeth. That stunning smile made Y/n smile back automatically.

Jesse nodded his head in amusement, stepping back a few steps and turning around fully, slipping back into the building quietly.

Ellie picked up a rifle from the gun rack, pulling back the bolt and aiming it, "Yo Y/n, give me a target." Y/n held back a giggle and looked about, almost instantly laying her eyes on a tattered barrel that seemed to be filled with grease from this morning's breakfast, "Shoot down that old barrel over there." She pointed whilst grinning mischievously.

Ellie turned herself to the barrel, aiming steadily before taking the shot without warning. The bullet pierced through the worn metal, passing through the thick grease and out the other side, dropping to the ground with a clink. Thick and sticky grease poured itself out of the exposed hole on both sides of the barrel. Y/n stuck out her tongue in disgust as Ellie smiled, "Ewww gross!" She exclaimed, turning to Y/n as they both shared an amused laugh.

Ellie brought the rifle back up to her face and aimed again, looking around for another target. Y/n looked around too until her eyes finally rested on an old tire, it was still full of air pressure.

She pointed towards it, "That tire over there. Pop it!" They giggled softly at her comment as Ellie aimed right for it, yet again firing the rifle without warning. Y/n flinched by the slightest, the tire popped completely and fell limp on the ground. Y/n put on a voice, "Ahem. And there's your final final resting place, sir." They both let out a laugh at Y/n's comment.

Ellie placed the rifle back down onto the gun shack neatly, clearing her throat, "So Y/n. You gonna be at the dance tomorrow night?" Y/n nodded, stuffing her hands into her pockets, "Yeah. I figured that a little fun like that could help relive some sort of stress. Plus, I think that it'd be pretty cool." Ellie smiled and folded her arms, "Well, on the way here, Jesse told me that you don't have many people to converse with. I heard that you talk to my old man, Joel." Y/n nodded slowly and looked down, "Yeah, I do. He's a good man, he gives me advice when I need it the most."

The red haired female took a seat on the bench next to them. She patted the empty seat beside her, Y/n taking a seat beside Ellie slightly hesitantly. Ellie rested her head back and let out a long sigh. Y/n rested her leg onto her other leg with her arms still folded. Silence was casted between the two all of a sudden. But Ellie broke the silence.

"I've been meaning to approach you for a while now."

Y/n raised an eyebrow and looked towards her, "Really? Wow..I never though about that. Nobody really talks to me. I guess that people just think I'm weird because I'm so distant." Y/n shrugged and chewed her bottom lip in thought.

Ellie smiled kindly, resting her right arm over the bench as she faced her new friend, "Well, I don't think you're weird. We're all in dark times here, it is difficult to approach one another. I guess all of this used to be so different. It's like we're all stuck in a cage and the infected are patrolling us outside."

Y/n nodded slowly in agreement, slowly making eye contact with Ellie, "I guess the world isn't gonna change. The fireflies are no more, soldiers are gone..Scientists don't have the things they need for a vaccine. Is this..the end.." Y/n tilted her head back in sorrow, staring Ellie in the eyes. Ellie reached out and patted Y/n's arm in reassurance, "We're both eighteen now, we've survived for this many years now so we can't just give up.

Y/n let her words sink in slowly. A small smile began making its way across her face. She looked up at Ellie and grinned, showing her surprisingly white teeth, "You're right, Ellie." Ellie smiled lightly, watching Y/n's lips slowly cover her teeth again. Y/n's smile was very bright and it could easily spread around, it was indeed contagious.

Ellie exhaled lightly and flashed a slight pout, "What time will you be at the dance tomorrow?" She asked Y/n gently, resting her head onto her hand. Y/n knitted her eyebrows together, obviously thinking of what time she should exactly show up, "Uuuhhh...I'm thinking...twenty minutes after it's started. It lasts for three hours, so I'll have plenty of time."

Ellie nodded her head in agreement, "Okay then, cool. I'm sure we'll see each other there." She rose from the bench and began walking off, "I'll see you around, Y/n." Y/n nodded to her, casting a gentle smile.

She sighed softly, rubbing the side of her head as Ellie's footsteps faded away behind her. Y/n shut her eyes, daydreaming dumbly.