Conflict

This chapter has slight spoilers from a cutscene much further on in the game. Please don't spoil it for yourself if you haven't played the game yet❤️

You spent the next few weeks unable to leave your home. Ellie had decided to spend most of her time with you, helping you cook, clean and do your washing. It was a nice gesture. Some nights, you beckoned Ellie to stay and she did so. You would whip out your aired mattress and she would sleep right by your bed. Some nights, she would climb into bed with you like you asked and you would snuggle up to her.

It was difficult, not being able to move around so freely like you used to. You were extremely lucky that someone like Ellie was around to help take care of you. Although, some days she was unable to help. She still had to leave Jackson like Joel and the others and scavenge the area for more infection.

Stressing and overthinking about Ellie whilst she was out also became a new thing of yours. Usually, you were a strong willed girl and nothing was able to bring you down so easily. As of lately, your limited situation had changed that so drastically. You were always worrying and full of anxiety. It wasn't like you, Joel had noticed this ever since your injury.

A knock sounded at your front door. You hummed and grasped your crutches, pulling yourself up from the kitchen table chair. You slowly made your way over to the front door and leaned on your left crutch, pulling the door open.

Joel stood upon your doorstep. He smiled softly.

"Hey Y/n. I wanted to see how you were doin'."

You smiled widely and shuffled to the side, allowing him entry to your humble abode.

"I'm great. Please come in, it's cold out."

Joel nodded a thanks and made his way inside. You shut the door and hopped around to face him.

"You need help with that?" Joel offered with a concerning look.

You shook your head with a small laugh, "No, i'm okay but thank you. Please, have a seat at the table." The southern man nodded and walked with you to the kitchen, ignoring your stubborn remarks. He helped you sit on the chair that you were perched upon before and he sat across from you.

"What brings you here this early in the morning?" You leaned your crutches against the table a rested your hands in your lap.

Joel leaned with his hands resting onto the mahogany table, "I wanted to see how you're doin' like I said. I don't know if you heard, there's another dance thing comin' up tonight."

You huffed out a slight laugh and nodded, "Yes, I thought those things only stuck to being once a year or so."

Joel nodded and ran a hand through his ageing hair. He grunted whilst sitting back, "Me too. Tommy figured he'd wanna do another to help more people come together. Like Jesse did with you n' my Ellie."

Your mouth turned into an 'O' shape. Your eyebrows knitted together in thought.

"I haven't seen Ellie with you properly for so long. She doesn't even talk about you."

Joel exhaled lightly and did his best to shield the hurt expression on his face.

"Well, Ellie's older now ain't she. She's growin' up.. she doesn't need her old man that much anymore."

Your eyes trailed up to meet Joel's brown orbs slowly. You scanned his expression and saw the hurt in his eyes. Refusing to believe his words, you opened your mouth to say something but was cut off by your front door clicking open.