Chapter 1

Hannah Cole
P.6
The Broken and the Bad

Chapter 1

One of the things I hate the most in my life is the sound of my alarm clock in the morning. It's as if the sleep is my drug, my bed is my dealer, and my alarm clock is the police.

The horrendous sound woke me up from my  favorite thing in the world. Sleeping. I pulled the warm baby blue comforter off my body while letting out a huge (and very unattractive) groan, and climbed out of bed. 

Today is August 23rd, and the first day of my junior year. Although I hate learning and doing actual work, school doesn't really bother me as much as it does for any normal teen. I like getting out of the house and seeing other people. Most of my summer was spent in my room or cleaning the house anyway. My dad barely ever let me go out. Sure, I spent some time with my friends, but not nearly enough.

To make matters worse, my best friend Ruby spent most of her summer in Hawaii with her family, and my other friend, Nate, had spent the summer working as a lifeguard.

I had tried to get a job, but my father immediately rejected the idea. He doesn't want me to be out in the real world for a long amount of time. 'Who knows what I would tell people.'

I unplug my phone from the charger and turn it on. I only have a couple of notifications, so I read through them quickly, and chuckle at my friend's messages in our group chat.

                   August 22nd 11:23 pm
Ruby: You guys better not oversleep! I need to see you! It's been like forever!

Nate: Oh please, I never oversleep!

Ruby: Don't you remember last year when you fell asleep on the bus ride to that one college?

Nate: Yeah? What about it?

Ruby: The bus driver didn't see you and you slept throughout the whole tour

Nate: I was tired!

Ruby: ....We stayed at that college for the entire day and when we got back on the bus you were still asleep

Nate: .....I see your point

Ruby: lmao, I'm going to bed. Goodnight. I'll see you in hell tomorrow.

Nate: Ugh. Don't remind me.

I look in the mirror, and wince. I never understand how I'm able to do it, but I somehow always look like the twin of death. My long brown hair was knotted all over, and my eyes were puffy and red.

I took my brush from it's place on my dresser and practically ripped through my tangled hair, painstakingly trying to make it look somewhat presentable. My hair is wavy, and it tangles easily at night.

After dealing with that mess, I made my way into the bathroom and continued with my daily routine. I brushed my teeth, and put on my concealer and mascara. The usual.

Usually If I don't look too bad, I don't bother with a full face of makeup. Recently it has been pretty calm around the house, so I don't need to cake my face in product.

While walking into my closet, I tried to decide on what to wear. It took a minute, but I ended up choosing black leggings, and a checked knot shirt that reached just passed my elbows.

I don't really care about my appearance as much as most teenagers do. I don't care about what people think of me at all. If they want to judge me without really knowing me, they can go right on ahead. However, it is the first day so I decided to at least dress up a little bit.

I leave my room after grabbing my backpack, and walk downstairs, stubbing my toe in the doorframe of my room in the process. I cuss rather loudly out of pain. I can be such an idiot sometimes.