Chapter 2

Chapter 2

If there is one thing I've learned today, it's that fate loves messing up my life.
Why do I have to be his partner? Of all people, it just had to be me. I'm sure three quarters of the girls in this school would love to be in my position right now.

As soon as my name was called to be his partner, nearly all of the students heads turned around to look at me. I roll my eyes and pull out my phone, hoping to listen to music for the rest of the class.

"I have no plans for the rest of the class today, so you may get together with your partner and begin to discuss the plans for your project. If you have any questions don't be afraid to come up and ask me."  I sigh and put my earbuds back in my backpack.

"So, Riley, I guess were partners then, huh." Spencer speaks up. He knows my name? I don't talk to anyone here, so I'm surprised he knows who I am.

"Um, yeah, I guess."

"Great, when do you want to meet up for it then?" As soon as his words process, I have to stop my jaw from dropping. The bad boy actually wants to work?

I must have made a face because he asks."What?"

I try to regain my composure as best as I can. "Nothing. You just don't peg me as someone who actually participates in assignments."

Spencer smirks. "Well, you don't peg me as a shy girl, so how come I rarely see you talking to people?"

I go stiff. How is he so observant?  He can't figure out why I don't talk to people. If he does he will go and tell all of his preppy friends, and my secret will be all over school.

Spencer continues. "I guess we all got our secrets. Anyways, what days' work best for you?"

"Uh, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays usually work for me." I tell him. My dad works late on Tuesdays and Thursdays, at least that's what he claims, and every Saturday he goes out with his friends. If I'm home in time for his drunken self to walk through the door, I'll be fine.

"Sounds good, so tomorrow I will meet you by your seventh hour and we can go somewhere to watch the movies."

I almost nod but then I remember my schedule "I have open block 7th hour."

"Oh okay, I do too so we can just leave then."

We exchange numbers and talk a little bit about what movies we want to watch before the bell rings. So far Spencer seems pretty nice. I don't understand why everyone says otherwise. At least he talks to me. If he had just ignored me all class that would have been awkward.

As the bell rings, Spencer grabs his backpack from the side of his desk.

"Well, see you tomorrow, Angel." Spencer smirks and walks out the door.

Angel?

I'll just ask him about it tomorrow. I grab my things and walk to my next class, trigonometry. At least Ruby will be there, so it will be a little more bearable.

When I walk into my new class, I immediately notice Ruby sitting in the back. She knows me so well. Ruby and I first met after getting seated by each other in biology last year. It took about a month for us to start talking to each other because we are both very antisocial, but we really hit it off. Ruby and I have very sarcastic personalities, but we are different enough that we don't get bored of each other. She and Nate are the most important people in my life, and I couldn't ask for better friends.

"Hey, how did Modern America go?" Ruby asks me as I sit down next to her. She's going to die when she hears about it.

"Meh, alright. Mr. Jacobs already announced what our final for the class is though."