viii. the grounder

C H A P T E R  E I G H T

THE 100 WERE NOT READY for the storm that hit them hard. It was a powerful consistent downpour of rain, skies dark as night, lightening so bright it shined like the sun, and thunder rumbling so loud it sounded like waves hitting rocks. Selene was soaking wet as she kept running back and forth from the tents to grab supplies and bring them into the dropship. Other delinquents were helping and others were trying to hold the parachute turned tarp down, trying to block out the rain from getting into the dry shelter. People were yelling out muffled demands from every area of camp.

"Hold it back!"

Selene ran into the dropship and placed the supplies in a pile with the others, she brushed her wet hair away from her face and walked towards Clarke, who was standing at the edge of the dropship entrance watching the storm. "Hey.." Selene smiled at Clarke.

"This is Raven Reyes. Calling Ark Station."

Raven has been saying the same phrase for hours, her voice becoming desperate every time she spoke the sentence again. Selene and Clarke walked over to Raven, still in the same position from checking in last time.

"Come in Ark Station. This is Raven Reyes. Calling Ark Station. Please come in." Raven sighed.  "Please, please." She whispered under her breathe. "Can anybody hear me?"

"Are you sure you have the right frequency?" Monroe asked.

"Yeah, I'm sure." Raven snapped back eyeing the girl.

"Raven? You can do this. Ok. Everything will be fine." Selene leaned on the small radio table and smiled as Raven nodded. She stood back up and looked at Clarke who nodded, they made their way over to a very pale Finn, dying, on the makeshift bed. Clarke reached towards the stab wound, with the knife still plunged in, and slowly unraveled the blood soaked clothe around it, preventing the open cut from getting any infection. Selene grabbed a clean white clothe piece and handed it to Clarke so she could replace the bloodied one.

Raven's voice was echoing off the walls of the dropship in the background. "Calling Ark Station. Ark station. Please come in. I'm on the ground with the hundred. We need you."

Selene took the bloodied clothe and dipped it in a small bucket of water, ringing the blood out. Once all the blood was out she went over to Finn's head and pushed his hair away from his forehead. She took the damp clothe and dabbed his forehead that had sweat beads forming.

"Calling Ark station. Are you there? Please come in."

Selene finished helping Finn and walked back over to Raven. She leaned up against the wall and watched as Raven sat there defeated with her fingers running through her hair frustrated. "Rae. You got this." Selene whispered out.

"Please... Calling Ark Station.. The hundred are alive."

Everyone had faces of disappointment as they huddled around Raven. Thoughts of the people on the Ark running out of air, never seeing loved ones again, and how they were all alone ran over their thoughts.

"This is a restricted station. Who is this? Please identify yourself."

The radio finally received an answer back. Everyone's eyes went big and the huddle became more squished as people were trying to get as close to the scene. Some people started cheering and smiling as the bad thoughts started to leave and they saw hope.