Chapter Nineteen

Taking slow steps through the school gym doors with Edward at my side I immediately scan the area, hyper-aware that somewhere lurking in the darkness is Damon. At least nobody in the student body seems to be dead. The dance is in full swing, the gym slightly transformed with handcrafted paper chains and multi-colored lights bounce around the room, while a disco ball dangles in the center.

I look at Edward who does the same action as me, having a quick glance around the room, accessing the atmosphere.

"So what's the plan, shall we go and look for him or try to blend in?" Edward questioned, bringing his eyes back to me.

"Right now let's just try and find Stefan and Elena," I suggested, trying to spot them in the overcrowded crowd.

Edward focuses ahead for a second before raising his arm up in an old-fashioned gesture.

"I found Stefan," He said, then turned to me with a smile. "Shall we?"

He nudged his forearm up more to draw my attention to it. Naturally, my arm wrapped around his and oddly it didn't seem as strange as I had imagined walking with him like this. It was nice in a weird way to do something that Edward would have found a traditional courting mannerism in his time. But currently, in this century, I'm sure we looked so out of place. 

Edward guided me further into the crowd until we come out onto the other side by the drinks where sure enough Stefan was holding two red plastic cups. When he saw us approaching relief danced across his face. He placed the cups down on the table, abandoning them.

"You took your time," Somehow Stefan found time to joke in a situation like this. 

"Well we did have to change," I pointed out, gesturing down to my pale blue, spaghetti strapped skater dress and Edwards suit. 

Every other girl was much more dressed up in dainty, expensive looking dresses that they most likely took weeks to plan out. I felt so uncomfortable just being here in the atmosphere. I'd never been to a high school dance before and for good reason. For one I can't dance and secondly, nobody ever asked me. 

"Thanks for coming, both of you," Stefan said sincerely. 

"Of course, has he done anything so far?" Edward questioned, turning the conversation into a much more serious matter. 

Which this very much was. 

"Not yet, I saw him come in with Jessica, and then after that, I lost track of him. I just made sure to keep Elena by my side in case he attempted to go after her," Stefan explained. 

I frowned, looking around. 

"Where is Elena?" I questioned in confusion. 

"She just went to the bathroom. I could hardly follow her into there," Stefan pointed out.

On edge, I didn't like the thought of Elena anywhere else but in clear sight. I knew Damon all to well and he waited for perfect opportunities to strike. Her all alone in a small room like a bathroom seemed too great of an opportunity for him to pass up.

"I'll go check on her," I quickly informed the boys while disappearing into the crowd not waiting for a response.

A bad feeling stirred in the pit of my stomach as I exited the gym and out into the rain. Quickly getting under the cover of the building, I ran to the main building doors which were open. One quick listen and I could tell nobody was near allowing me to safely run to the girl's bathroom at vampire speed.

When I burst the door open I expected the worst. The smell of fresh blood was everywhere, Elena's lifeless body draped on the ground and Damon facing me with a wide, evil smirk.