Chapter Eight: Whispers

This time, Sarah tried to pay better attention to her surroundings. She had a feeling she wouldn't get an escort a second time. As the two walked through the jungle and no threats, jabs, or even anything resembling human communication came from the blonde giant ahead of her, Sarah felt her fear of the boy give way to curiosity. He was the only other Lost Boy whose name she knew so far, and he seemed to have some level of influence in camp if the way the other boys fell silent under his gaze was any indication. With that said, it seemed odd that he had twice been tasked with transporting her. Considering the opinion the Lost Boys evidently had of her and of girls in general, she couldn't imagine it was seen as a very glorious task. "So." She began quietly, but when no signs of danger appeared she grew bolder. "You're what. Peter's brother? Errand boy? Boyfriend?"

"Second in command." The answer drifted back to her as her guide pressed on through the jungle. "And it's 'Pan' to you." That surprised her somewhat-Peter (or Pan, rather,) didn't seem the type to share power with anyone. And given that, it seemed even stranger that he would be assigned to lead her to the waterfall. Surely he had more important things to do?

"If you're so important," Sarah needled, "Why did he send you on escort duty?" Felix shrugged, unbothered. It would take more than jabs from a random girl to disturb his pride.

"He knows I can be trusted." Yet another surprise. What she'd seen of Pan so far suggested he was highly unstable and exceedingly narcissistic. Neither of those qualities seemed inclined to trust.

Sarah squinted at his back, suspicious. "Trusted to what?" She asked him. "It's not like I'm planning to make a run for it." Her escort laughed as though the thought of her trying to run away was completely ridiculous. He's probably right, but he doesn't have to be so obvious about it. She thought testily. She had her pride, after all.

"Why don't you think about it." Felix told her. The palpable amusement in his voice gave her a bad feeling. When she didn't respond, he offered her a clue. "Like I told you last night, it's been a long time since we had a girl on the island." He had stopped walking to look at her. "Plenty who might be interested in the view."

Sarah flushed at the insinuation. "I would strangle any boy who tried!" She blustered, fists clenching. "And don't you get any ideas, or I'll strangle you too!" She grumbled to herself, "I'd rip their eyes right out of the sockets, see if I wouldn't.!"

Felix snorted. "I'd like to see you try, little bird." Somewhere along the path he had broken a twig from the endless branches, and had taken to chewing it lazily. Sarah found herself hoping it was poisonous.

"I have a name, you know." She groused. She wanted to move the topic speedily on from the subject of her, bathing, and any interested parties therein. Felix shrugged.

"Can't say I remember it." He drawled. Sarah narrowed her eyes, trying to determine if he was looking to get a further rise out of her. Maybe he puts people in cages all the time. She mused to herself. I guess I did only say my name once-or twice. She cringed to remember the rambling mess she had been when she first arrived on the island. It had only been the other night, but it already seemed a world away. Her face relaxed.

"It's Sarah." She reminded him at last. Felix stared balefully back at her.

"Whatever you say." He replied, turning lazily back towards the path. "Little bird. You coming or not?"

Sarah growled, but followed after him. Between her irritation with him and his naturally laconic tendencies, they walked in silence until their path started to steepen. When they came to a wall of boulders, Felix stopped. Stowing the club he carried on his back, he ambled quickly and nimbly over the rocks to the top. Much as she despised him, Sarah couldn't help but be impressed. Her awe quickly changed to foreboding when she realized he meant for her to follow after him. Taking a deep breath to steady herself, she tried to leap to the nearest ledge in the boulders, as she had seen him do.