Heart

After depositing Sarah in her thinking tree, Pan arrived at his. His face was far from the gentle concern he'd showed Sarah, and if she could see him now she might even worry that he was falling back into old habits. "Get out here." He snarled to the jungle. Darkness swirled and congealed until the Shadow floated before him, two bright specks glowing in place of eyes. Pan glared at it hatefully, an irritating reminder despite its usefulness that maybe – just maybe – there was a future in which his Lost Girl was not at his side.

"Is it time for another already?" All these centuries, he still wasn't used to its grating voice. "The other came only yesterday. Or was it this morning?" Pan snarled as its laughter thudded in the air around them. "It's hard to keep track of a story." The thing he hated most about the Shadow, however useful it was, is that it always seemed to be mocking him. No matter how powerful he became, the Shadow still seemed to see itself as above him. Even – no, especially – when it was carrying out his bidding.

Pan hadn't summoned the Shadow for small talk. "What's wrong with Sarah?" He demanded harshly. The Shadow whirled lazily around him.

"Sarah belongs on Neverland." Hadn't it said before that she didn't? Or at least that she wouldn't forever? "Neverland is running out." His jaw clenched. He knew the magic was running out. That was the entire purpose of finding the Heart in the first place. But Sarah hadn't been here very long, it wasn't as though she would die if time started running again. And of course...his hand tightened to a fist. He'd never let the magic run out either way. But now, knowing that is might affect Sarah as much as him?

"Find another one." He ordered. "Tonight." It was time to accelerate the plan.

Sarah stood before the waterfall, the source of Neverland's magic. Pan had taken her here more than once when he needed answers, and she hoped that now she could find some of her own. She knelt by the edge of the water, and though the water rose to greet her, she wasn't sure what more to do. Until she remembered the whispers in the pond. Steeling herself with a deep breath, and uncertain if this was a good idea or a stupid one, she slipped off her boots and socks and waded into the water.

The feeling all around her was like nothing she'd ever experienced. It felt like flying and singing and dancing all at once, raw energy sparking off her skin in trickles of warmth and flashes of cool. She leaned her head back, and swore she could hear laughter. Musical laughter, like the tinkling of bells or the breath of a storm through a wind chime. No turning back now, she mused to herself. Taking a deep breath, she dove under.

All at once, she was out of the water. Not on the banks by the waterfall, but not underneath it either. Instead she was floating in a strange, misty place that seemed unusually familiar. Am I dreaming? She thought in wonder. A familiar voice hummed, No, Sarah. You are Awake. At last, you are Awake. All at once, her memory of dreams came crashing back. She closed her eyes, staggering somewhat under the force of sudden remembrance. She saw Neverland now, that familiar face, a face that for once she knew she'd remember. All her adventures in her dreams, all the nights spent with her island. She smiled at the happy memories. Her face fell as more recent memories reached the surface.

Pan. The island...the heart. She looked towards the misty figure, who smiled sadly. "Still?" Sarah asked in a whisper. The figure nodded. That couldn't be. Peter, her Peter, couldn't be the one hurting her island. He was so different now, surely his dreams weren't twisting them still. Why is that? The dark voice in the back of her mind, not nearly so friendly as Neverland's, emerged to taunt her once more. Because he kisses you and shows you pretty things? Because he happens to like you enough to put on a show of being anything but what he is? It wasn't like that. Then explain. She couldn't.