Music

The others stood, and after a moment Sarah followed their lead. They drifted back towards the main fire, where the rest of the Lost Boys were congregating. Pan stood in front of them, light and shadow from the fire at his back flickering over his face and frame. "Well played today, boys." He called out. The boys around her cheered. "It was a close race! I can see you've gotten better." His eyes roamed over his assembled minions, and Sarah had the oddest feeling he was talking to her directly. A glance at the faces of the Lost Boys told her they felt much the same, and she marveled at his ability to so entrance this crowd. "Perhaps next time, one of you will even beat me." It was a lie, of course – but one the Lost Boys were happy to hear.

"And now that you've feasted, I think it's only right we celebrate – such bravery and skill as no grown-ups now or ever could match!" The whoops intensified. "I'd like to play you all a song." Sarah glanced around her, holding back a laugh. A song? Pan's idea of a celebration was for them to watch him play guitar, or something? None of the other boys were laughing. From the folds of his tunic, Pan drew out a set of thin reeds bound together. Pan pipes. Of course. He drew the instrument to his lips and blew, eyes closed in concentration.

Sarah scrunched her brows. She didn't hear anything. Evidently the Lost Boys did, for they began first to sway and then to circle the fire, dancing to some unknown music. Now they seemed truly entranced, their steps growing faster and wilder, cloaks swirling in the air as steps turned to leaps. Her eyes flickered back and forth, concerned, between the Lost Boys and Pan. He continued to play, swaying now himself.

His eyes opened to Sarah staring back at him with worry. He paused, narrowing his eyes. Why wasn't she dancing? He waved his hand over the pipe, letting it hover in the air behind him. Sarah assumed it must still be playing, as the Lost Boys did not stop their wild dancing. Pan crossed the space between them quickly, shadows lending his face an even darker mien. "What." Sarah's voice came out as a whisper as he drew close. "What did you do to them?"

"It's music, Sarah." He too kept his voice low. Though the tone was smooth, she could feel a hint of threat. "Don't they dance to music where you're from?" Sarah nodded stiffly, her eyes still on the boys.

"But they seem..." She brought her eyes carefully back to Pan. "Entranced." Why had his edge returned? She wondered if he'd heard about her announcement, if he was angry that the boys now knew their secret. No, it wouldn't be that – just this morning he'd wanted to expose what was between them. "And –" She paused.

"And what, Sarah?" Pan asked carefully. She winced.

"I don't hear anything." Pan's eyes widened.

"Is that so?" Sarah nodded cautiously. "Interesting." Sarah frowned, and he could see the question forming on her face. He smiled. "This is a special pipe." He explained. "Only boys who feel Lost can hear it, which means you..." He trailed off, looking her over. Sarah fit so well on the island, even without her odd connection to its magic. Sure, there'd been that spot of trouble with her parents, but once she was certain they weren't in misery over her she'd fallen back to place quickly enough. Was it possible he was wrong? "I suppose it means you aren't Lost after all."

Something guarded had slipped into his tone, and Sarah felt a trickle of worry creep over her. If she wasn't lost, she couldn't be a Lost Girl. And if she wasn't a Lost Girl...who would she be on the island? She took a deep breath to calm the nerves building up inside her – then laughed. "Peter." A smile crinkled around her eyes. "Repeat back what you just said." Pan frowned.

"I don't like to repeat myself." He warned. Sarah waved her hand dismissively.

"Only boys who feel lost can hear it, Peter. Only boys. Boys." She laughed again, relieved to have an answer that wouldn't end in a change to her place in the camp. "In case you haven't noticed," She teased, "I'm not a boy." Pan's brows furrowed, then relaxed. Of course. Magic could be quite touchy at times, and he had enchanted the pipe specifically to find boys. He should have realised Sarah wouldn't be able to hear it. He smirked then, looking her up and down in a way she did not quite appreciate.